Save the Children
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the position of a Nutrition Assistant. Make sure you read the requirements before applying for this position.
About Save the Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfill their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
Job ID: 200003OF
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Reports to: Health and Nutrition Officer
Staff reporting to this post: None
Budget Responsibilities: None
Team / Programme: Nigeria Country Programme/ Yobe Office
- Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- To roll out the implementation and monitoring of health and nutrition activities in the programme “Support to Early Recovery from Conflict and Resilience Building in Yobe State” at the respective Project supported LGAs.
- In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Key Deliverables Include:
- Participate in the mapping exercise of health and nutrition services in health facilities in the LGA using the checklist.
- Identify existing community platforms for the orientation of community members on health and nutrition behaviours.
- Support Project level assessment/surveys as approved by Donor.
- Support quality data collection of activities conducted in the Communities.
- Promote increasing awareness of appropriate health and nutrition behaviors in project communities and ensure behavior change materials are visible in Project supported communities and health facilities.
- Support the development of case studies and success stories from programme implementation.
- With support from the Health and Nutrition Officer, ensure programme activities are conducted in Project supported Communities and are in line with the local law and international standards, laws, and policies.
- Collaborate, coordinate and exchange best practices and lessons learned with other Civil Society organizations in relation to health and Nutrition projects in the state.
- In collaboration with community members, identify community volunteers – Pregnant women and mothers of children under 2years that are practicing the recommended behaviours.
- Provide mentoring and capacity building of Community volunteers in relation to Health and Nutrition and promote coordination.
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with SCI and relevant stakeholders at State and L.G.A level in relation to Health and Nutrition.
- Write and contribute to reporting including monthly, quarterly and annual reports as required by the project, and case studies, and lessons learned etc.
- Ensure quality health and nutrition promotion sessions are provided at the supported Health Facilities and during Support group meetings.
- Support the Maternal Newborn Child Health and Nutrition training for Health Workers and Community Volunteers.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the Post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
You may also like; Nestle Nigeria Recruitment
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Health / Public Health / Nutrition / or any related fields with a minimum of 1-year progressive experience post-NYSC
- Experience in Nutrition and community-based programming
- Experience in behavior change programming.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and local languages (Hausa/ Kanuri)
- Computer literate
- Desired: Be from and resides in any of the project supported LGAs – Damaturu, Potiskum, Gujiba LGAs
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written) and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive, and empathize with all beneficiaries and their carers.
- Experience in community-based interventions in Northern Nigeria
- Demonstrable ability at report writing
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Method of Application
All those interested and qualified candidates should click here to apply
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process
24th July 2020.
To apply for this job please visit stcuk.taleo.net.