The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships for Doctoral Study in Canada 2020/2021 ($50,000 per year) is ongoing. To apply you must read the requirements provided below;
About Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) was inaugurated by the Government of Canada in 2008 to enhance Canada’s potential to captivate and secure world-class doctoral students while stabilizing Canada as an international centre of excellence in research and higher learning.
Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership technique and an outstanding criterion of educational success in graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
- Approximately 166 scholarships are granted yearly.
- A total about 500 scholarships are effective at any time.
Value of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The current worth of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is $50,000 per year
What is the Duration for this scholarship?
Applicants should note that this scholarship runs for 3 years (non-renewable)
Scholarships are allocated equally between the three nationwide awarding agencies:
What are the Nomination Criteria for this Scholarship offer
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Eligibility
Ascertain that you as well as your nominating institution meet up with the standards below before applying for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS).
Selections that do not meet all of the eligibility standards will be deemed ineligible.
Canadian nationals, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are qualified to be selected for a Vanier CGS.
To be considered for this Scholarship, you must:
- Be selected by only one Canadian institution, which must have obtained a Vanier CGS quota;
- Be seeking your initial doctoral degree (including joint graduate research program such as: MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.; if it has an exemplified and important research component). Note that just the Ph.D. level of a joint degree is qualified for funding;
- Plan to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year coming after the declaration of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) studies and research at the nominating institution; For joint graduate research program, only the Ph.D. level of a joint graduate research program is qualified for funding.
- Have finished no more than 20 months of full-time study in their doctoral program as of May 1, 2021;
- Have finished no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program, by May 1st, 2021 if enrolled in a joint graduate research program, e.g., MD/Ph.D., MA/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D. Applicants in this group have admission to the 32-month window whether or not they were previously enrolled in a Master’s program; or
- Have finished no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program by May 1, 2021, if launched promptly from a Bachelor’s to a Ph.D. (no time spent in a Master’s program); or
- Have finished no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program by May 1, 2021, if launched from a Master’s degree into a Doctoral program without receiving the Master’s degree.
- Have obtained a first-class average, as concluded by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are urged to reach out to the institution for its description of a first-class average; and
- Must not possess a doctoral-level scholarship or organization from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to attempt or finish off a doctoral program.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Eligibility of Program of Study
- A qualified doctoral program must comprise of a substantial research component that results in the completion of a thesis, crucial research project, essay, educational journal, rendition, recital, and/or presentation that is merit/expert-reviewed at the institutional level as a necessity for completion of the program.
- Combined graduate research programs with a professional degree (e.g., MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) and clinically-oriented projects of study, encompassing clinical psychology, are also qualified programs if they have a substantial independent research component, as described above.
Note: ResearchNet will only enable the submission of one application per applicant. Applicants should only pursue to be selected by institution where they want to study and are urged to talk over their decision with the nominating institution before they submit the application through ResearchNet.
You may also like this; How to get certified to teach AP courses
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships for Doctoral Study in Canada 2020-2021 Nomination process
Candidates must be selected by a Canadian institution with a quota (i.e., a predetermined number of applications that can be submitted to the federal competition) to host Vanier scholars. Candidates should pursue to be selected by the institution at which they want to study.
Number of months of doctoral studies
All initial doctoral-level studies, irrespective of profession, are evaluated in the evaluation of eligibility and are assessed to be continuous, full-time, and uninterrupted unless contrarily ascertained by the institution (including the summer months, unless on official leave). The Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) will estimate two months of part-time study as one month of full-time study.
Students who studied on a part-time basis, or who suspended their studies with their university’s official authorization, must summarize the periods of break or part-time study in the Special Circumstances attachment and the Doctoral Studies Timeline.
The Vanier-Banting Secretariat will commence all estimation of the amount of months finalized from the date on which an applicant is officially enrolled in the doctoral program with the following exception:
July – November 2020 :
Applicants assess a nominating institution, prepare and submit application package.
Internal Deadline (varies) :
Deadline to deliver application to the nominating institution. Reach out to the nominating institution for certain date.
November 3, 2020 (20:00 EST) :
Deadline for institutions to submit choices to the Vanier CGS program.
November 2020 – March 2021 :
Assessment and inspection of nominations.
Early April 2021 :
Scheduled announcement of results. Candidates will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.
May 1, 2021, September 1, 2021, or January 1, 2022 :
Deadline for this scholarship
November 3, 2020
Enter your email to get more Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Update