UN Volunteer Program 2021: We put this post together to guide you on how to register for the United Volunteer program.
About United Nations Volunteer
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated, and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
You can contribute your time, skills and knowledge through volunteering with the UN. This is an opportunity to create a positive impact and be a significant force for achieving peace and development. If you are looking for an opportunity to serve humanity and at the same time make a living, then apply for UN volunteer job.
Details about UN Volunteers Program 2021
We have compiled all you need to know about the UN Volunteers Program 2021 and how to apply to become a volunteer are detailed in this post as follows;
What It Involves (Why Volunteer?)
- The International UN Volunteers promote peace and development in communities around the globe, while upholding the ideals and aspirations of the United Nations.
- Volunteers come from 160 countries, representing many cultures and backgrounds. They bring a wide variety of perspectives and approaches.
- Your volunteer assignment will make a lasting impact. It can create a ripple effect that extends far beyond the immediate results of your efforts.
- As a volunteer, you will learn about different cultures, expand your networks, study foreign languages and gain matchless professional and life experiences and More
Requirement for Becoming a UN Volunteer Program
The minimum requirements to serve as an international UN Volunteer or to take up the United Nations volunteer job are:
- University degree or higher technical diploma
- Two years of relevant work experience in a professional background
- Good working knowledge of at least one of UNV’s three working languages: English, French or Spanish
- Applicants must be committed to the values and principles of volunteerism
- 25 years old and older (no upper age limit)
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Willingness to work with people and local organizations to draw upon the synergies between expert solutions and local knowledge
- ability to adjust to difficult living conditions and sometimes remote locations
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Prior volunteering and/or working experience in a developing country is an asset
What is UN Volunteer Duration and Benefits?
These are the duration and benefits for this program:
- International UN Volunteers assignments generally run for six to 12 months, with the possibility of extending for one to two years.
- Short-term assignments are also requested by our partners from time to time. International UN Volunteers are entitled to certain allowances. (the allowances is not salary but given for the purpose of sustenance during your service)
UN Volunteer Online Registration and Participation
Online volunteering has been crucial to upscale the impact of Youth. They are calls to become a UN online volunteer which is especially helpful during this COVID-19 period. Coming from different countries and ethnicities, these online volunteers bring a variety of skills to the table. They have applied their skills and knowledge through a range of activities, including proofreading and translating communications materials, conducting research supporting COVID-19 related efforts. You can also choose to be a UN online volunteer.
Applying for the Regional/Country UN Volunteer Job
In most cases you can apply for the UN volunteer job through the regional grouping or at the country level – your home country. At the UN volunteer login or special calls page, seven (7) regions are listed as below. Applicants will have to select any of the regions in which they have nationality or desire to volunteer.
- East and Southern Africa
- Arab States
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Asia and the Pacific
- Europe and the CIS
- West and Central Africa
Step by step guide on how to Apply
These are some of the steps you need to apply for the UN volunteer job or for becoming a volunteer;
Step 1: Check If You are Eligible
The number one thing you should look out for is your eligibility. Are you Eligible to apply for this opportunity?
Step 2: Register
After you have gone through the requirements for this program, next is to register. To register visit the login page and register your profile in the Global Talent Pool.
Step 3: Find Suitable Volunteer Opportunity
Lastly, you need to find the best volunteer opportunity from the pools of opportunities before applying for the united nations volunteer program. To submit an application and become a volunteer, you need to click here to find a suitable volunteer opportunity from the special calls or from the pools of opportunities.
The application deadline varies
Hint: You can find opportunities easily by checking desired country/region or simply scroll through the list of recently posted opportunities to find the ones that suit you.