United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Programme Analyst – Waste Management recruitment at United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Waste Management recruitment is currently ongoing at United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). This opening is for Nigerians with knowledge in Programme Analyst – Waste Management. See below for more details;
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Analyst – Waste Management
Company: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Job ID: 27624
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Environment & Disaster Reduction – Waste Management
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Slot: 2 Openings
- The crisis in north-east Nigeria erupted in 2009 and remains one of the most severe in the world, resulting in the forced displacement of over 2 million people, acute food insecurity and nutrition concerns, and serious violations of international humanitarian and human rights law. Nine years after the eruption of the conflict, the problems still persist, with over 1.6 million IDPs and 8.5 million people needs emergency assistance in the three most heavily affected states in north-east region of Nigeria, namely Borno State, Adamawa State and Yobe State.
- Recent assessments reveal that local authorities are significantly overstretched by the increase in solid waste generation due to the influx of IDPs (ranging from 30 to 45 percent of pre-crisis solid waste volumes). Waste collection in camps was generally good and organized, but disposal by open burning is widespread where camps are not integrated into existing municipal waste management; thus, the host communities bear the burden of insufficient coverage in the respective states. Responding to those needs, UNDP Nigeria developed a project: “Sustainable Waste Management and Environmental Protection in Borno State” with support from the EU.
- The overall objective is to strengthen post-conflict waste management and environment protection for longer-term resilience building and social stabilization of conflict-affected people and communities in Borno State. The project is designed to implement a set of targeted interventions in the following two priority areas in Borno State, especially the communities in Maiduguri, Bama and Biu through: (1) Restoration of sustainable quality basic services for waste management and hygiene and (2) Restoration of livelihoods and revitalization of local economic activity related to sustainable waste management.
- UNDP implemented a waste management Cash for Work (CfW) Pilot project in Maiduguri in August 2018 with 730 beneficiaries participating in community clean-up activities. A second-round pilot project was rolled out in July 2019 with 602 beneficiaries engaged in community clean-up in Maiduguri.
- The impact survey conducted by UNDP showed that the income earned through the CfW intervention made a major difference in the lives of the beneficiaries and their families enabling access to basic needs while improving the waste management and environmental condition in their communities. UNDP is launching new cash for work projects targeting new beneficiaries from various communities in Maiduguri, Bama and Biu along with awareness-raising and waste management business entrepreneurship projects and is seeking qualified nationals to support implementing of project activities in the three local government areas of Maiduguri, Bama and Biu.
- Under the overall guidance of Programme Specialist (Early Recovery) with direct supervision from the Waste Management Programme Manager, the Programme Officer will provide project management and administrative support for implementation of the activities of the Sustainable Waste Management and Environmental Protection Project in Borno State.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning, overseeing, and reporting of overall project activities in Maiduguri, Biu and Bama
- Monitor and support implementation of project activities by service providers
- Coordinate and monitor the capacity building of the partner agencies in collaboration with the Programme Manager
Planning, overseeing, and reporting of overall project activities in Maiduguri, Biu
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated projects, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame for project implementation.
- Provide planning support to the Programme Manager in making procurement requests.
- Provide data inputs to the M&E framework of the Programme.
- Prepare and submit monthly reports on field coordination support provided to the waste management project.
- Maintain accurate filing systems, with documented records of logistics transactions for audit purpose.
Monitor and support implementation of project activities by service providers:
- Monitor and support implementation of cash-for-work activities by a service provider in Maiduguri as well as Biu and Bama.
- Monitor processing of cash for work transfer payments request made by service providers, conduct verification of payroll on a beneficiary registration system (Red Rose platform) in collaboration with UNDP finance office and ensure service provider’s assistance provided to beneficiaries to receive payment from the financial institution.
- Monitor and support awareness raining about waste management by a service provider in Maiduguri as well as Biu and Bama
- Coordinate all types of equipment and assets including PPE, devices, smart cards, communication, IT, to ensure that equipment is managed diligently and operated in the most cost-efficient and optimal manner.
- Monitor and support creation of start-up businesses by a service provider in Maiduguri as well as Biu and Bama
- Follow the activities closely and make sure the designated results are achieved by the service providers
- Keep close communication with the service providers, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders.
Coordinate and monitor the capacity building of the partner agencies in collaboration with the Programme Manager:
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of beneficiary training programmes organized by project implement unit and by services provides.
- Coordinate the implementation of capacity building support for the respective state government authorities, particularly for the State Ministry of Environment (MOE) and the Borno State Environmental Protection Agency (BOSEPA)
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the successful achievements of the planned outputs under the sustainable waste management project.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Community Development, Management Studies, Engineering, Education or related fields.
- At least 3 years of experience in humanitarian / development programme field, supervision / management / administrative and logistics support or related field.
- Experience of administrative operation and project activity implementation.
- Experience in cash for work for waste management or public works project is an asset.
- Experience of working in Northern Nigeria; and geographical knowledge of the North East is an asset.
- Experience in cash-based programming, community recovery and livelihoods stabilization is an asset.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization, notably with UN/UNDP, is highly desirable.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement.
- The ability to communicate in Hausa, Kanuri or any other language spoken in the northeast is an asset.
Functional Competencies for this Waste Management recruitment
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts:
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Basic research and analysis:
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems:
- Maintains information/databases on system design features
- Develops simple system components
Establishing effective client relationships:
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Actively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Monitors the implementation of corporate accountability and results-based management systems and makes recommendations to enhance performance of business units
Core Competencies for this Waste Management recruitment
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, mixed-gender environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; sensitivity and adaptability to culture, gender, religion, nationality and age; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of UN operations; ability to achieve common goals and provide guidance or training to colleagues;
- Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
- Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities;
- Flexibility: adaptability and ability to live and work in potentially hazardous and remote conditions, involving physical hardship and little comfort; to operate independently in austere environments for protracted periods; willingness to travel within the area of operations and to transfer to other duty stations within the area of operations as necessary;
- Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards UNDP’s mission and vision, as well as to the UN Core Values.
Important applicant information
- Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
ALL interested and qualified for this Waste Management recruitment offer should apply through the career portal of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
To apply for this job please visit jobs.partneragencies.net.