International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Senior Program Coordinator Recruitment at the International Rescue Committee (IRC).
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In response to the Boko Haram insurgency, in early 2014 IRC opened a field office in Mubi town of Adamawa state followed by offices in Yola (Adamawa state) in November 2014, Maiduguri (Borno state) in October 2015, and Monguno (Borno state) in October 2016. IRC is currently implementing programs in Health, Child Protection, Food Security, PRoL, WASH, Nutrition and Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) in three States in northeastern Nigeria.
The IRC is currently intervening to the emergency situation in Monguno resulting from the high influx of persons displaced from recent attacks in some parts of Borno through a multi-sectoral approach. The Child Protection Sector has secured funding to provide Psychosocial Support case management to Unaccompanied, Separated Children, and Children with other protection needs and to also support their caregivers. The CP team will also be working with adolescent boys, girls and their caregivers using the Supporting Adolescents and their Families in the Emergencies resource package.
Requisition ID: req9589
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Sector: Program Administration
Open to Expatriates: Yes
- IRC began working in Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, IRC has expanded its program scope and size with the aiming of making the greatest possible contribution to meeting humanitarian needs in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe states in North-East Nigeria.
- IRC’s response includes integrated health, reproductive health and nutrition services, protection including women’s protection and empowerment services and child protection, environmental health, economic recovery and development, governance and education. In 2015, IRC Nigeria developed a five-year Strategy Action Plan (SAP), which has health and education as high priority program areas.
You may also like; FAAN Recruitment
Scope Of Work
- The Senior Program Coordinator (SPC) works closely with the Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) and the Deputy Director Field Management (DDFM) to design and deliver high quality, innovative programs, specifically in protection and rule of law, women’s protection and empowerment, child protection, economic recovery and development, and education.
- The role has a particular focus on driving strategy implementation, particularly enhanced program integration, supporting expansion into newly accessible geographic areas, and increasing IRC’s work on an early recovery across the humanitarian and development nexus. S/he will ensure timely and effective program delivery, coordination and technical coherence and support, monitoring, evaluation, and accountability.
- The SPC will provide a focus on SAP outcomes, partnerships and client responsiveness, and will represent IRC programs to major stakeholders, relevant government authorities, and other program partners.
Areas Of Responsibilities
Program quality and development:
- Provide leadership to Technical Coordinators in setting priorities and delivering outcome-focused programs that align with the Nigeria Strategy Action Plan.
- Ensure that program design is evidence-based and uses theories of change that place crisis-affected people and their voice at the center of IRC’s response, and lead program integration to support this.
- With HQ-based Technical Advisers, ensure that program implementation is aligned to relevant standards and makes use of tools, systems, and procedures that are in place.
- Work closely with the Senior Grants Coordinator and the Grants and Partnerships Team to shape concept papers and grant proposals for submission to donors.
- Work with the M&E coordinator to build and foster a culture of learning and reflection that uses data to design and adapt programs.
- Monitor changes in the context and ensure that IRC responds where necessary.
- Alongside our existing focus on humanitarian programming, analyze gaps and needs, and help to drive a new focus on early recovery programming in appropriate geographic areas, working across the humanitarian-development nexus.
- Support Technical Coordinators in creating and maintaining up-to-date briefings, factsheets, and updates for external stakeholders.
- Work with project leads and Grants team in ensuring effective project start-up, review, learning and close-out meetings are planned and conducted in a timely manner with full participation of all relevant stakeholders from programs and support teams, and that actions are taken as a result.
- Provide leadership for Technical Coordinators in the timely and high-quality implementation of programs, and promote regular reviews – both internal and external – and other learning events.
- Provide support to the Country Emergency Team during the scale-up of a sudden onset humanitarian response and during the deployment phase.
- Ensure program coordination, and that Managers and Technical Coordinators for cross-cutting themes work together effectively according to program work plans, leveraging opportunities for integrated and coordinated programming across sectors.
- Conduct frequent field visits to all project sites for monitoring, quality control, and program staff mentoring and coaching.
- Coordinate high-level reporting on country-level indicators such as beneficiary numbers, design for impact indicators, cluster data and other information as needed.
- Ensure that donor reports produced by the programs team are delivered on time, of high quality and effectively demonstrate the impact of IRC’s interventions.
- Support IRC’s partnerships efforts, including monitoring of local partner performance, partner assessments of IRC performance and scoping of partnership opportunities, ensuring that key issues are discussed with Partnerships/Grants colleagues and DDP.
HR and Staff Management:
- Help to drive a culture of ambitious, responsible, and committed leadership amongst Technical Coordinators and other program leaders.
- Support program staff through frequent communication and close attention to staff care, mentoring, and development.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Representation and Advocacy:
- In coordination with the DDP/DDFM, actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders in Nigeria, including local communities, donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Develop strategic partnerships with local organizations.
- In coordination with the DDP and DDFM, assist in organizing donor visits by supporting staff in the smooth design and running of field visits.
- Master’s degree or commensurate experience, preferably in Education, Peace and Conflict Studies, International Humanitarian Law or Humanitarian Assistance
- Experience managing programs in a relevant technical area(s) including in education, economic recovery and development, livelihoods, child and women protection, and general protection and the rule of law
- Possesses at least five years of field-based experience managing staff and programs, particularly in complex emergencies and insecure environments
- Experience managing humanitarian relief and/or transitional programs in areas affected by large scale displacements due to conflict and chronic food and nutritional insecurity
- Demonstrated experience in program management, project design and use of project design tools
- Demonstrated experience in supervising expatriate and national staff, and in mentoring of national staff and with a strong commitment to staff capacity development
- Demonstrated qualities of leadership, sensitivity to cultural settings, communication skills, commitment, and sound judgment
- Aptitude to adapt to a different context regarding security, culture, climate or health issue, demonstrated by experience outside of the country of origin
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Willingness to travel in the country at least 50% of your time
- Commitment to gender equality and IRC’s vision, mission, and values, including sensitivity to cultural settings
- Experience in working in NE Nigeria
Specific Security Situation / Housing:
- The Senior Program Coordinator will be based in Maiduguri, Borno, Nigeria with travel throughout the sites where IRC has a presence. The security situation in North-East Nigeria continues to be volatile with security level currently at 3 (orange), though subject to change; candidates should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments. This is a non-accompanied position, and the Senior Program Coordinator will live in shared housing.
Standards For Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in The IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces a range of policies, including on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
To apply for this job please visit rescue.csod.com.