Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD)
Security Officer at Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD). Please ensure you read through the job requirements before applying.
Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD) is an international development charity and the official aid agency of the Catholic Church in England and Wales that stand beside people living in poverty. Through local Church partners, we help people directly in their own communities, and campaign for global justice, so that everyone can reach their full potential.
Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD) is recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Security Officer
Reporting to: Country Representative
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
- The post holder will develop and ensure the systematic application of safety and security management policies and procedures in operational areas of Nigeria. This will include the ongoing assessment of threats and provision of advice to manage risk; the maintenance and updating of security guidelines; ensuring that field security working practices are robust and that staff and partners are aware of, trained in, and adhere to security management policy, guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Integral to the posting is the ability to work successfully with field teams/ locations to cultivate capacity and motivation thereby ensuring field-based responsibility for security analysis and management.
- The post reports to the Country Representative, works in close collaboration with the ECHO Project Coordinator, field-based Program Managers, and receives technical support from the Global Security Adviser based in London.
Security Risk Assessment:
- Determine and assess the specific threats to CAFOD and partner staff, premises (office, accommodation), and programmes.
- Identify and make recommendations for systems, procedures and resources to mitigate risk to manageable levels.
- Assess the capacity of professional security guards at residences and office related to their security training needs.
- Advise the Country Representative, Project Coordinator, and other key personnel how to mainstream security in programme management.
- Review the impact of security factors on CAFOD program designs and delivery,
- Ensure that all program activities/locations are assessed and monitored relative to their impact on staff safety and security,
- In consultation with Global security Adviser, continuously monitor the security /safety environment, nationally, and locally for all program areas, and make recommendations to the Country Representative, to adjust security policies and procedures as needed.
- Initiate the formation of a Security Management Team in Nigeria and spearhead the revision of Safety and Security Guidelines/ plans for all operational areas.
- Ensure that contingency plans for Evacuation, Relocation, Hibernation, and Medical Evacuation are reviewed quarterly
- Ensure that communication systems are adequate and maintained and provide training to staff on the use of such equipment and communications protocols in conjunction with the programme coordinator.
- In conjunction with relevant logistics staff, programme managers and transport staff ensure that regulations for travel in the field are implemented in a systematic and timely fashion.
- Ensure that incident report forms are properly compiled by staff and are sent to relevant staff in Abuja and London.
- Coordinate post-incident follow-up actions, analysis and recommendations.
- Conduct security assessments in new areas of Nigeria prior to entry by program staff.
Security Plan and Minimum Operating Security Standards:
- Act as an integral member of the CAFOD Security Management Team in Nigeria.
- Ensure that staff members are provided with and are proficient in the use of safety equipment, including communications equipment, vehicle emergency equipment and personal security safeguards required for work in the field.
- Ensure CAFOD compliance with agency staff safety and security policies and protocols,
- Remain continuously informed of the security situation in Nigeria. Develop a security action plan for reinforcement of security measures at the office and the residences of CAFOD staff. Coordinate closely with security colleagues – UN/INGO, CCO/INSO, etc.
- Document the dates and types of security training staff members have received and make recommendations on training needs. Facilitate training, as needed.
- Ensure appropriate professional liaison with local authorities responsible for security, law and order, counterparts in diplomatic missions and municipal/civic/religious and traditional leaders.
- Due to the inter-relatedness of Logistics and Security in this operating environment, he/she may be required to advise and assist in logistics matters.
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Social Sciences, or any related field. However, a diploma backed by strong relevant technical experience will also be considered.
- Substantial professional experience in safety & security management with NGOs, INGOS. Previous work experience in emergency context.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through formal and informal training.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse social and cultural backgrounds.
SEE ALSO: Zenith Bank Recruitment 2021 Application
- Understanding Catholic identity; Works comfortably with secular and Church partners
- Working with others; especially local partners and other staff; can build capacity of colleagues and partners
- Communicating; Fluent written and spoken English
- Looking outwards; Carries out partner capacity assessments and identifies support needs; collaborates with colleagues across CAFOD, and good at networking with other agencies on security and safety
Making change happen:
- Managing resources; Delivers programmes within an agreed budget; Develops programme funding proposals; Makes effective use of ICT
- Achieving results; Delivers work within the context of an agreed programme framework,
- Ability to work with and build the capacity of programme staff and partner organizations.
- Ability to develop and/or adapt safety and security tools for practical use.
- Knowledge of safety and security concepts, frameworks and tools; able to manage crisis situations.
- Excellent writing skills, including experience of donor reporting.
- Willingness to undertake travel
N10,213,030 – 10,723,682 per annum
7th April, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- “This post is subject to funding being secured”
- This list of duties and responsibilities is by no means exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other relevant and appropriate duties as needed. This job description is subject to regular review and appropriate modification.
- If considered useful and appropriate, specific percentages per function/areas of responsibility can be assigned by agreement between the post-holder and his/her line manager.
- The role may require travel as agreed with the relevant partner(s).
To apply for this job please visit isw.changeworknow.co.uk.