Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Security Coordinator Job at the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC). Make sure you meet the job requirements before applying for this position.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation, and hygiene sectors.
You may also like this; Top Federal Government Jobs in Nigeria
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Coordinator
Webcruiter ID: 4268851276
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Percentage of full-time: 100
Employer: Norwegian Refugee Council
Commencement: August 2020
Duration: (Till December 30th, 2020 with possibility of extension)
The Security Coordinator reports to: The Area Manager.
- NRC is looking for a Security Coordinator for our Area Office in Maiduguri, Borno State in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the Security Coordinator is to oversee, plan and coordinator all security activities across all NRC field offices and the entire North-east and to ensure all staff have the basic and contextual security training required to carry out their jobs
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education and recently Camp Coordination and CAmp management (CCCM) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Experience from working as a Security Coordinator in a humanitarian / recovery context Safety and Security Management Planning
- Provide technical support to the area offices on all policies, procedures, guidelines and planning for staff safety, operational security and program continuity in Nigeria;
- Evaluate, review, and update the Nigeria Security Management Plan on a regular basis.
- Provide and implement best possible solutions for use of equipment to facilitate communication between staff, including here proposing safe alternative means of communication and equipment
- Building Acceptance to empower and expand humanitarian programming.
- Develop ongoing relationships with local authorities as needed and other power brokers within.
- Work to encourage stakeholders to work with the NRC in ensuring that staff and programs are safe and allowed to continue humanitarian activities in Nigeria.
- Provide regular training for NRC staff on security preparedness, prevention, and response. Training(s) may include: HEIST, Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs); Contingency Plans (CPs);
- Working with the HR focal point on reviewing, updating the NRC Security Information package for new hires and visitors.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions including staff development plans.
- Lead with commitment, integrity, and accountability
- Work with HSS Manager to develop, consolidate and implement operating procedures and contingency plans;
- Evaluate, review and update the hibernation and evacuation plans for all NRC offices and residences in Nigeria and ensure that the practical preparations are in place and known to all staff involved; Conduct risk assessments of offices and residences. Follow up on actions to be taken to ensure compliance with safety and security standards.
- Undertake continual assessments of equipment, and the protocols by which that equipment is used, to ensure that minimal conditions for security are being met.
- Provide security input and advice in assessments to consider new NRC programs in new geographic areas.
- In coordination with HSS Manager, liaise with relevant security actors e.g., INSO, NGO Security Focal Points, other NGO security coordinators, region UNDSS contacts, local community stakeholders, Governors, etc.
- Compile and submit weekly security reporting that tracks incidents and trends within the NRC area of operation. Submit weekly contextual updates as needed to the Country Director (CD) and Regional Security Advisor (RSA).
- Work closely with NRC teams in Field Offices in Nigeria to ensure all incidents and accidents are followed up with an official written report, which is then shared with relevant stakeholders and filed appropriately. Coordinate regularly with the HSS Manager on safety and security, and fulfill reporting requirements to the region.
- Provide a development plan with a precise capacity building method to the Safety and Security team.
- University or advanced degree
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working in a senior security role in a humanitarian / recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Handling insecure environment
We Can Offer
- Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions – Grade Level 7 Step 1
- An approved health certificate will be requested before the contract start.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Procedures, CV Registration & Notice
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
- Nigerian Nationals Only
Application Deadline 13th August, 2020.
To apply for this job please visit 23109900.webcruiter.no.