Security and Liaison Officer Recruitment at ACTED – Please make sure you go through the job requirements before sending your application.
ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
Considering the displacement in the north-western part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Katsina to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED is therefore looking for a Security Officer to support its mission in [Katsina].
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Security and Liaison Officer
Contract length: 6 months with possibility of extension
Level: D2-1 (national contract)
Start date: As soon as possible Desirable
About the job
Under the authority and leadership of the Country Director, the direct management of the Country Security Manager (CSM), and under supervision of the Project Manager; Security and Liaison Officer (SLO) responsibilities are, but not limited to the following:
- He/she also responsible to ensure a regular security and safety communication is maintained between ACTED office at Maiduguri and field offices.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Staff/Program and Premises Safety/Security:
- Provides supervision to the guard force in the assigned area.
- Conduct regular reviews of ACTED facility physical security measures and produce/update compound security profile and security assessment reports.
- Manage the guard force shift pattern and leave rotation.
- Deliver monthly standard operating procedure (SOP) training to the guard force.
- Conduct fire drills monthly and security emergency response drills quarterly, involving all base staff.
- Conduct inspections of the fire safety equipment every quarter and produce a quarterly fire safety report for the head of department.
- Conduct spot checks of the guard force to ensure they are working in accordance with SOPТs. Inspect guard force equipment each week and report damages or losses in a timely manner.
- Conduct a monthly inspection of the saferoom and hibernation kit. Identify hibernation items soon to expire.
- Conduct daily pre-deployment security briefs and post-deployment de-briefs with field staff.
- Distribute security alerts in a timely manner.
- Provide area security briefings to staff visiting from other ACTED areas.
- Deliver security SOP training twice annually, to ACTED staff in your assigned area.
- Develop and grow a security network of reliable security focal points in Katsina, Kano, Zamfara and Sokoto, for the sharing and receiving of timely security information.
- Review and update the area security risk assessment every six months.
- Deploy to potential new areas of intervention in the northwest region, to conduct security risk assessments, if required.
- Receive and review Security Clearance Requests (SCRТs) from ACTED staff and process in a timely manner. Submit SCRТs to the head of department for further processing.
- Liaise with various key stakeholders on behalf of ACTED senior management and the project manager.
Transport/movement Safety and Security:
- Inspect vehicles pre-deployment, ensuring they are fully equipped with breakdown kit, fire extinguishers, medical kits, serviceable seatbelts, and a functional locking system.
- Monitor security information and security alerts and notify field teams of ongoing incidents immediately.
- Liaise with external security sources before and during staff movement, to ensure security information is up to date.
- Deploy with field teams on a weekly basis to review staff field conduct in accordance with security SOPТs, update actor mapping, update activity site risk assessment and assess atmospherics.
- Share security information with the ACTED countrywide security department, for filtering and verification.
- Always be reachable by either mobile phone, email, or satellite phone.
- Attend meetings relating to security and area access and submit a meeting summary to the head of department.
- Submit a weekly security summary specific to your assigned area to the head of department, outlining security incidents, no go areas, route security updates and significant operations of armed state and non-state actors.
- Submit a monthly security report to the head of department covering Katsina, Zamfara, Sokoto and Kano, including incident analysis, trend analysis, armed state and non-state actor analysis and route security updates.
- Maintain a live database of security incidents and submit to the head of department on a weekly basis.
- Submit a Security Incident Report (SIR) to the head of department within six hours from when an incident involving ACTED staff occurs.
- Attend security department meetings and provide feedback for you assigned area. Provide context or post-incident analysis during department meetings.
- Collect satellite phone logbooks at the end of each month and submit to the logistic department.
- Attend INSO training courses in accordance with the department capacity building plan.
- Comply with ACTEDТs Code of Conduct, and additional instructions, directives, and policies received during the hiring process, trainings or from the head of department.
Stakeholder Management and Liaison:
- Supporting the Project Manager in establishing and maintaining positive relations with local authorities including, local government, police, and community groups.
- Representing ACTED in local community forums when required and ensuring all groups of the Katsina community are engaged in an open, positive, and non-discriminatory way.
- Proactively ensuring that the reputation of ACTED and partners is promoted in the region and addressing any potential reputational challenges.
- Building positive collaborative relationships with staff from project partner organizations.
- All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- At least 5 years experience in a security officer role or above.
- Extensive experience and ability in operating Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Exemplary communication and organization skills.
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and can deliver results with minimal supervision.
- Previous experience delivering security trainings.
- Demonstratable analytical ability.
- A detailed understanding of the history and security context of Nigeria’s northwest region; Katsina, Sokoto and Zamfara states.
- Must be adaptable and can work well in high-pressure situations.
- Advanced proficiency in spoken and written English and Hausa.
- Willingness to work in remote areas under basic living conditions.
- Ability to work to a high standard in unstable and frequently changing security environments.
- An established network of security contacts in Katsina, Sokoto and Zamfara states.
- Experience working with local authorities and representatives of the different local communities in the region
- Previous experience in the humanitarian field.
- Intermediate proficiency in spoken and written Fulani.
- Previous experience in the security forces.
Application Closing Date
23 June, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer and the other the HR Rep of your latest Organisation. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologizes for the inconvenience.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
To apply for this job please visit docs.google.com.