Save the Children
Safety and Security Officer Job at Save the Children. Please see the requirements before applying for this job.
About Save the Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education, and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
Job No.: 200006RE
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Permanent
- The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- To reduce the risks posed to the program, personnel and assets of Save the Children in Borno and facilitate program implementation, Nigeria.
- This will include ongoing threat assessment and advising on risk management; the maintenance of appropriate guidelines; and ensuring that field working practices are robust and that all staff are aware of, trained in, and adhere to these policies and procedures.
- Integral to the posting is the ability to work successfully with field teams to cultivate capacity and motivation, thereby ensuring field-based responsibility for security analysis and management.
Key Areas Of Accountability
Works with the Safety and Security Coordinator to coordinate:
- The development of an organisational culture that reflects our dual mandate values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our Members and donors
- Ensure the Office complies with all Save the Children Management Operating Standards and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Ensure that all required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies.
- Provide support as required to the Office Incident Management Team in case of security-related crisis
Assessment and Analysis:
- Coordinate with the Security Coordinator for the preparation & delivery of high-quality reports, analysis and security by gathering information from a variety of sources.
- The Security Officer will submit monthly written report on Vehicles 1st Aid boxes, Hibernation items Firefighting equipment, Vehicles tools and briefing tracker to the Security Coordinator and National Security Manager
- Prepare the monthly Guards transport allowance and company’s payment
- Access control and management through supervision of security guards deployed at SCI facilities
- The Security officer will provide weekly security briefing and safety briefing to new/arriving staff to Maiduguri
- Ensure that incident reports are properly compiled in a timely manner by staff and shared with the Security Coordinator and National Safety & Security Manager
- Monitor events, review incidents and coordinate analysis, follow up actions and recommendations
- Provide security updates which include situational analysis, actions taken and actions recommended to SCI management team, in conjunction with safety and security coordinator
Policies and procedures:
- Ensure that all Borno staff understand the country-wide security plan and agree to abide by its policies and procedures
- Monitor the security environment and adjust security policies and procedures accordingly in consultation with safety and security coordinator
- Ensure quality and relevance of area security plans
- Undertake reviews of policies and procedures; identify opportunities to enhance security in consultation with safety and security coordinator
- Advise on safe movement for staff e.g. proper vehicle fleet management policies, adequate safety and communication equipment in vehicles and training drivers in established procedures and requisite skills
- Assist with proposal development to ensure adequate consideration of safety and security need and inclusion of security costs
- Undertake security assessments of and field missions to programme areas and potential programme areas; report on findings and design necessary improvements
- Provide safety and security support and advise to the field operations in consultation with safety and security coordinator
Communication and Training:
- Liaise on a regular basis with UN agencies, INGOs SFPs, government and local administration and where possible with community leaders in the process of gathering and verifying security information as delegated
- Support the gathering and flow of information with other relevant actors; classify security information according to its reliability and accuracy
- Coordinate and manage the proper use of SCI communication equipment/systems and alert the security coordinator to any hardware failures
- Regularly update the briefing slides base on the context of Borno
- Support Safety and Security training to SCI Borno/NE staff and partners. Trainings will include First Aid, communications, security guards and drivers but will also include other higher-level security trainings.
- Keep tracking of field staff to ensure safety and security, and to be proactive in the event of emergency
- Provide timely security briefings for visitors to Borno/NE and on occasions escort visitors on field missions
- The successful candidate will have a high degree of common sense and a genuine interest in people.
- Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
- Plans, prioritize and perform tasks well without needing direct supervision
- Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
- Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
- Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
- Ability to analyse information
- The ability to work harmoniously in a multi-national / multi-cultural environment.
- The ability to work independently, multi-task and anticipate problems
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Behaviours (Values in Practice):
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and takes responsibility for their own personal development
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future-orientated thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their colleagues, SC Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Experience And Skills:
- B.Sc / HND in relevant course
- 3 years post NYSC relevant experience
- Demonstrated success in community resilience programs and technically sound in cash transfers, capacity building and other cash transfer components;
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of working in intercultural environment;
- Excellent Microsoft Office applications skills (Excel, Word, Power point, Emails, Skype, Web researchers);
- Self-motivated and results orientated;
- Highly diplomatic and emotionally intelligent with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of and adherence to Save the Children Code of Conduct understands other international development guidelines.
- Ability to speak local language especially Kanuri, and Burra/Babur or any of the local language in Borno
- Preferably with security background Military, NSCDC, SSS and Police
- The candidate should be preferably from the State with a good contextual knowledge of the environment and good reporting/analytical skills.
- We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better health care, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
- We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
- We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
- Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
- We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organization and all candidates will, therefore, be subject to this scrutiny.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
22nd November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.
To apply for this job please visit stcuk.taleo.net.