United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
International Individual Consultant / Contractor – Immunization Job at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF). Please make sure you read through the job requirements before applying for this position.
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: International Individual Consultant / Contractor – Immunization
Job No.: 537303
Contract Type: Consultancy
Categories: Health, Expanded Programme Immunization, Consultancy, Programme Management
For Every Child, Health
The routine immunization coverage in Nigeria has been very low for decades. According to the WHO- UNICEF Estimate, the 2016 DPT3 coverage was 49% and MCV1 coverage was 51%. In 2016 NICS/MICS national coverage of Penta3 was 33.6% and the state coverage range were between ranging from 3-80%.
Lagos is the highest state with 80.2 % of Penta3 and Sokoto State with 3% of Penta3. Kano state is among the lowest State with 19.9 % of Penta3. Only 17.5% of children were fully Immunized. It was observed the huge disparity between the northern states and the southern States respectively 61% of children were not immunized in the North West States and only 8% were not Immunized in the South East States.
It was also noted the disparities in immunization coverage, regarding the area of residence the coverage was only 25% in rural areas while 51% of penta3 was reported in the urban area. The caretaker’s age represented 15% of coverage between 15 to 19 years and 32 to 39 % of penta3 coverage between 30 to 39 years.
Caretaker’s Education was respectively 9% of coverage for the Non-formal education and the highest education was 74% of Penta3 coverage. The index quintile shows only 10% of children Immunized for the poorest quintile against 63% of Penta3 for the Richest.
How can you make a difference?
The main objective of the consultancy is to:
- Reach the un-immunized and under-immunized and improve equity in the assigned State by end of the assignment.
- To achieve this, the consultant will provide strong capacity and technical leadership and guidance to SERICC, transitioning polio assets to immunization, review available data, plan equitably and address bottlenecks in the immunization programme of the State, with emphasis on routine immunization, measles control, and polio eradication initiative.
- Support the improvement in PHC services with a focus on the roll-out and strengthening the one PHC per ward and community health services.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- MBBS and a Master’s Degree in Public Health or a Health-related Technical field.
- At least 8 years progressively responsible experience in designing, implementing and evaluating health projects particularly, immunization programmes, and at least one year’s internal experience.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN working language an asset. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station, an asset.
- Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in related fields.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
- Commitment to continuous learning for professional development, Initiative, passion, and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
- UNICEF’s core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA), and
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (3)
- Works Collaboratively with others (3)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (3)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (3)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (3)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (3)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (3)
- Analyzing (2)
- Applying Technical Expertise
- View our competency framework at: https://unicef.sharepoint.com/:b:/r/sites/DHR-UCF/SiteAssets/SitePages/DHR-UCF/Competency%20Framework%20Brochure.pdf?csf=1&web=1&e=IPpgba
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unicef.org.