Website Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Human Resources Officer at Catholic Relief Services (CRS), Interested and qualified candidates should see the job detail and apply
Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Job Title: Human Resources Officer
Job Code: 200000NH
Job Type: Full-time
Job: Human Resources
Employee Status: Individual Contributor
- The HR Officer closely working with the Human Resources Manager will support the Adamawa office, sub offices in Adamawa State and the North East Nigeria region to manage, develop and administer policies and programs covering several but not limited to the following: recruitment, wage and salary administration, training, employee relations, and benefits.
- The focus will be supporting the HR Manager to cover a variety of client groups.
- H / She will work closely with the Human Resources Manager to develop plans and strategies to meet organizational requirements and ensure the program policies and practices comply with applicable laws and regulations.
- Additionally, H / She will be responsible for recording and updating the training, motivation, and evaluation of employees to meet CRS Nigeria’s strategic goals and objectives.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Coordinate policies regarding human resources activities, such as recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, employee relations, and performance management.
- Process, verify, and maintain documentation relating to personnel activities such as staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations, and Classifications.
- Suggest advertising sources. Assist in writing and recommend placement of job advertisements in various media according to needs.
- Interpret and provide guidance and instruction to sub office teams on HR processes, policies, workflow, and work unit priorities.
- Provide employees with information about policies, job descriptions, working conditions, wages and opportunities for promotion and employee benefits.
- Plan and conduct new employee orientation with the HRA to foster positive attitude toward organizational objectives.
- Working with the HRA, conduct reference and background checks for new hires and discuss results with HRM.
- Will assist in the review and development and implementation of new and existing HR policies and procedures
- Serve as a link between the HR team and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts, and helping to resolve work related problems.
- When applicable, contract with vendors to provide employee services such as health and life insurance etc.
- Working with the HRM, Ensure all phases of the performance management system are implemented according to agency guidance, i.e. performance and development planning, coaching, assessment, mentoring, and career planning, 360 multi rater feedback).
- With the use of the survey monkey tool, responsible for implementing the 360 multi-rater surveys for national staff.
- Identify training and development opportunities using staff performance and development plans as a standard and working with Unit Heads
- Process employee requests for external trainings while complying with polices and Procedures.
- Draft and coordinate employee communications, letters and updates to both HQ and sub office staff e.g. appointments, promotions, merit increases etc.
- Prepare personnel action forms for new hires and forward to appropriate finance staff for addition to payroll.
- Provide advice and assistance to staff and management on pay and benefits systems
- Track probationary periods. Remind supervisors about probationary evaluations before completion of probationary service
- Manage national staff separation process including exit interviews, separation letters, clearance, ensuring policies and procedures as well as local labor laws have been followed
- Track and generate relevant HR data and metrics to access organizational effectiveness
- In the absence of the Human Resources Manager, Act and represent at meetings, forums and networks.
- Ensure all HR Audit topics are covered and co-lead the closing of any HR Audit findings.
- In consultation with the Human Resources Manager will make decisions on HR issues
- Ensure local and international consultants are sourced according to agency guidelines and the database updated as needful.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- First Degree in Law, Business Administration or Social Sciences. A Master’s Degree in Administration / Human Resources and or a professional HR certification will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 3+ years post graduate experience in Administration / Human resource management, preferably in an International Organization;
- Must demonstrate a good understanding of contemporary human resource issues and best practices
- Sound knowledge of local labor laws and ability to understand and interpret legislative and policy issues
- Knowledge of payroll management will be an added advantage
- Must be familiar with participatory approach to developing HR Processes and Systems
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills as well as good judgment and vision.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound coordination skills and a demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated proactive leadership ability,
- Diplomacy, flexibility, and resourcefulness.
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively in diverse environments and Calmness under pressure
- Respect the importance of confidentiality, as you will be dealing with employees’ personal details
- Must possess the ability to build good working relationships with colleagues at all levels
- Must be fair and objective in handling situations related to employee relations
- Good planning, monitoring and organizing skills and experience
- Results-oriented and ability to work with minimum supervision
- English is required, Hausa is an added advantage.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 20%.
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Human Resources Manager, Human Resources Assistant, Management Team, Head of Operations, Administration Staff, Program staff, Finance staff, IT Staff, All Staff
- External: Consultants, Vendors, Partners etc.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results:
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Nigerian Nationals Only
To apply for this job please visit crs.taleo.net.