Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps Nigeria is recruiting candidates for a Graduate Finance Assistant.
About the Company
Mercy Corps Nigeria is an NGO company that have been working in the most marginalized and rural regions of Nigeria to deliver urgent, life-saving assistance and promote development.
Job Title: Graduate Finance Assistant
Company: Mercy Corps Nigeria
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Senior Finance Officer and Finance Manager, the Finance Assistant will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in a timely and accurate manner.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Maintain custody of the office cash fund and make daily payments of approved transactions
- Prepare cash payment vouchers and ensure that all cash transactions are fully and properly documented
- Ensure that cash count and safeguarding of cash is performed in compliance with Country Cash Management Policy
- Maintain the cash advance tracker daily, follow up on advances due for clearance, and ensure advance reconciliation with the general ledger records
- Review expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and document completeness and ensure that expense reports are fully authorized before payment processing
- Prepare checks or wire transfer requests based on fully approved documents and present to approved check-signers for review and signature.
- Prepare bank payment vouchers and ensure that all bank transactions are properly and fully documented.
- Record cash and bank payment vouchers daily into accounting system while ensuring the accuracy of all entries by following entry procedures, and by referencing coding against the standard chart of accounts and coded budgets.
- Prepare photocopies of vouchers and other supporting documents as required for the monthly reporting package to HQ Finance.
- Assist in account maintenance and reconciliations as part of the month-end closeout process
- File all cash and bank vouchers and maintain voucher filing system such that files are properly labelled, updated, complete and safeguarded.
- Assist with addressing audit-related requests
Ensure compliance with MC policies, donor rules and regulations and compliance with local laws
- Conduct himself / herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves professionally and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports Directly To: Finance Officer
- Works Directly With: Mercy Corps Program, Operations and Finance teams
Qualification and Experience
- One or Two years of bookkeeping, banking or cashiering experience.
- A degree in Accounting or a relevant Business field is desirable.
Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Prior experience with computerized general ledger software is an advantage
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics, as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures, is essential.
- A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is essential. The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
All the information on this website – www.newbalancejobs.com – is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. New balance jobs does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (New balance jobs), is strictly at your own risk. New balance jobs will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org