General Manager – Farming Operations Job at Olam International. Make sure you go through the job requirements before applying for this position.
About Olam International
Olam International is a leading food and agri-business supplying food, ingredients, feed, and fibre to 19,800 customers worldwide. Our value chain spans over 60 countries and includes farming, processing, and distribution operations, as well as a sourcing network of an estimated 4.8 million farmers.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: General Manager – Farming Operations
- The Incumbent would be responsible in managing a large scale, fully mechanized farming operation preferably in rice, The Project cultivates two crops of 4,400 ha per year, under flooded conditions, which are delivered to an onsite company-owned Rice Mill.
- Job responsibilities would also include Overseeing farming operations. This is headed by a Farming Head and 6 Assistant Farm Managers. Managing and Overseeing overall Mechanical operations.
- Oversee overall administration departments and functions, including the procurement department, Human resources
- Handle farming operations – Preferably have a good understanding of wetland rice production, Understand soil chemistry, and be able to interpret soil and leaf analyses.
- Developing the annual R&D projects in order to enhance the ability to achieve yields in excess of 6 mt/ha, twice annually.
- Timely acquisition of spares and ensuring that pre and post-season maintenance is carried out within the prescribed time frame and to the required standard in order that optimum availability is achieved at the lowest cost.
- Farming Operations:
- He/She would culture and maintain relationships with external Rice Agronomists, Rice Breeders and other specialist consultants in weed control and soil management.
- Preferably have a good understanding of wetland rice production.
- Understand soil chemistry and be able to interpret soil and leaf analyses.
- Understand the pests and diseases associated with rice.
- Understand water management in rice.
- Assist in developing the annual R&D projects in order to enhance the ability to achieve yields in excess of 6 mt/ha, twice annually.
- Financial, Administration, and other farm-related activities:
- Oversee the annual zero-based departmental budget construction.
- Timeously advise the financial controller and Vice President of any anticipated deviations to plans and the budget.
- Oversee all administrative departments and functions, including the procurement department.
- Oversee the HR department.
- Oversee the Security Department with the help of the Chief Security Officer ensure that employees and assets are kept safe.
- Maintain a healthy relationship with External Stakeholders, Government, Nigerian Army, Nigerian Police, and Local Community Chiefs and the community.
- Oversee Aircraft operations
- The aircraft are used for Seeding, applying herbicides, fungicides, insecticides and fertilizers.
- Monitoring the status of the runway and support equipment to ensure that they do not impede on the operations of the aircraft.
- Machine shop managed by a qualified fitter and turner that also manages all field equipment.
You may also like this; Nigerian Air Force Recruitment begins 2020 Intake | See full Guideline
- He/She should be in possession of either a BSC degree in Agriculture or an Agricultural Diploma from a recognized Agricultural institute
- He/She would be a person with sound practical farming experience and a love for machinery, which calls for a person with a strong mechanical aptitude.
- He/She would be a sensitive person with strong leadership abilities in order to lead, motivate and mentor a team of talented multinational Managers who would be reporting to him.
- Out of the box thinker and finds solutions to challenges presented by circumstances that arise.
- Have a keen eye for neatness and build on an image of a world-class operation.
- Have a keenness for nature conservation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
To apply for this job please visit careers.olamgroup.com.