When asked the question “are you a leader or a follower?” in an interview, what comes to your mind as an interviewee? How would you smartly answer a question such as this in an interview?
Well, we’ve got you covered as we will be digesting this question to expose the mind and request of the interviewer or employer who asks such a questions.
Why would an employer ask you if you are a leader or a follower?
The question of ‘are you a leader or a follower’ comes up when the interviewer wants to ascertain your leadership or followership skills. This question helps the employer know what role befits you,
The evaluation gotten from this question can as well influence the management’s decision as regards assigning duties to you within the company as a way of validating your answers.
How to answer “Are you a leader or a follower?” interview question
When this questions comes up, you are most times left in between some thoughts of choosing a rank for yourself such as a follower or a leader. It is human and natural to think that way but one thing must be done. You must have before now evaluated yourself and align to the side that best describes you.
Here is an example of a response of someone who said he is a leader:
“I like to lead by example. … I lead by facilitating open communication, and trying to bring out the best in every team member”. Lead by delegating and making others better: “I’m great at delegating and finding the strengths of other team members.
Here is an example of a response of someone who said he is a follower:
“Based on my experience working as a retail associate, I consider myself to be more of a follower. I enjoy being a part of a team, and I like knowing how I can contribute to a project to make it successful. However, a personal goal of mine is to develop my leadership skills. I try to look for opportunities to lead my coworkers in small ways.
Notice something about short stories in the samples above. The interviewees had some experiences to share with the interviewer. That is how to capture the attention and interest of your interviewer to prove you know who you are.
Quick signs to know if you are a Leader or a follower
Below are some signs which will guide you into knowing if you are a leader or a follower in order for you to answer the interviewer properly.
Signs of a follower:
- You don’t have a balanced emotional intelligence
- You can’t make decisions without someone influencing it.
- You follow rules and never break them
- You can;ttake risks.
- You are highly receptive to anything talent
- You always get results in unpleasant ways.
- You don’t have time management skills.
- You are indiscipline as a person.
Signs of a Leader:
- Your mind is open and you easily seek out other people’s opinions.
- You can give good advice and counsel.
- People find it easy to depend on you.
- You’re an humble listener and people easily share secrets with you.
- People follow your steps.
- You have high interest on excellence.
- You possess a classic, positive attitude.
Haven read this article, you should be able to decipher if you are a leader or a follower.