Those that wish to study in Québec – Canada are to send in their application for the Government of Québec Merit scholarships 2021 application.
This scholarship is meant for those that meet all the requirement and eligibility criteria by the scholarship body.
About this Scholarship
The Merit Scholarships program for foreign students is offered to students who pursue vocational training, technical training at the college level, or studies at the university level. The program is offered in order to attract the best international candidates for studies in Québec and to encourage student recruitment in programs with good job and research prospects.
Details for Government of Québec Merit scholarships 2021
The Merit Scholarship program allows recipients to benefit from;
- a scholarship that provides financial assistance during their studies
- an exemption from the differential tuition fees payable by foreign students
- health insurance protection provided by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ)
- Vocational training students: To be eligible for the Government of Québec Merit scholarships , students need to pursue full-time studies in a vocational training program leading to one of the following:
- Diploma of Vocational Studies (DVS)
- Attestation of Vocational Specialization (AVS)
- Priority is given to international students from leading markets in Asia (China, India and Japan) and the Americas (Brazil and Mexico), and from developing countries that are part of the Francophonie.
- Technical training students at the college level: Students need to pursue full-time studies in a technical training program leading to a Diploma of College Studies (DCS). The public or private college where the studies take place must be accredited for the purposes of funding and be located in a Québec region outside the Greater Montréal area.
- University students: Students need to pursue studies or research activities at a Québec university. Scholarships are available for:
- doctoral (PhD) programs
- postdoctoral studies
- Short-term research or professional development scholarships
Benefits of Government of Québec Merit scholarships
- Technical training students at the college level: The Merit Scholarship is valued at $14 000 per year. The scholarship recipient must re-apply for the scholarship on a yearly basis, up to a maximum of three years, which is the normal duration of a technical training program.
- Postdoctoral scholarships: $35 000 for one year, non-renewable.
- Doctoral research scholarships: $25 000 per year. The maximum duration for this scholarship is three years, with a possible extension of up to 12 months. In the case of an extension, a monthly allowance of $1 000 is provided.
- Short-term research or professional development scholarships: $3 000 per month for a period of up to four months.
- Vocational training students: The Merit Scholarship for 900-hour programs is valued at $14 000. An extra amount of $1 400 is added for every additional 100 hours, to a maximum of $26 000 for 1 800-hour program. Programs of fewer than 100 hours are not eligible.
- In addition to the scholarship, all recipients are entitled to an exemption from the differential tuition fees payable by foreign students.
- And health insurance protection provided by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
How to Apply
Only eligible applicants for the Government of Québec Merit scholarships 2021 will be preselected by the educational institution. Preselected applications are then submitted to the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT) .
Please no deadline has been fixed for this scholarship.