Are you an international student looking for a Korean Government Scholarship? Look no further, the Korean Government Global Korea Scholarship 2021 is ongoing for undergraduates looking for a scholarship opportunity to study outside their home country.
Before you begin your application process let us look at what it takes to win this scholarship.
About Global Korea Scholarship (GKS)
Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) is designed to provide international students with opportunities to study at higher educational institutions in Korea for academic degrees, which will enhance international education exchange and deepen mutual friendship between Korea and participating countries.
Few things you need to know about Global Korea Scholarship 2021
- [Embassy Track]: Korean government invites 125 international students from 67 countries who wish to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Korea. To be selected as a GKS grantee, any applicant should successfully pass through the 1st selection process set by the Korean Embassy of his or her country of origin.
- [University Track]: Korean government invites 60 international students from 72 countries who wish to pursue a bachelor’s degree(Engineering or Nature Science majors) and also 35 international students from 17 countries who wish to pursue an associate degree in Korea. To be selected as a GKS grantee, any applicant should successfully pass through the 1st selection process set by the designated universities.
- [Embassy Track and University Track]: Please contact the 1st selection organizations(embassy or university) to get the detailed information regarding the application submission such as application deadline, required documents, interview and etc. The filling of the application form and application submission deadline may differ by each embassy or university that conducts the first round of selection; however, it is expected to be around late September or early October.
※ Attention! The Regional University Track applicants can only apply for a major that is considered as Natural Science, Technology and Engineering field. please refer to the attached files(available departments).
Eligibility criteria for this scholarship
- All applicants and their parents must be citizens of GKS program’s partner countries that are invited to take part in this program and must not hold Korean citizenship.
- Korean citizens and dual citizenship holders (one who have Korean citizenship and citizenship of another country) are NOT eligible to apply.
- Applicants and their parents who had previously held Korean citizenship must submit the document that proves their renunciation of Korean citizenship.
- Exception: For overseas Korean applicants holding Japanese citizenship, if their parents hold „Permanent Residency Permit‟ within Japan while holding Korean citizenship, are eligible to apply.
- Must be under 25 years of age as of March 1, 2021 (born after March 1, 1996)
- High School Graduates (or expected graduates)
- Must hold high school diploma as of March 1st, 2021 or must be expected to graduate high school by March 1st, 2021.
- Applicants who are expected graduate of high school at the time of applying must first submit the certificate of expected graduation at the time of applying. The official high school graduation certificate and final high school transcript must be submitted by March 1st, 2021 at the very latest.
- In case an applicant fails to submit the above mentioned document by March 1st, 2021 or does not fulfil the grade requirement, the applicant will forfeit his or her scholarship.
- Settlement Allowance: 200,000 KRW (offered once after entry to Korea) ○ Monthly Allowance: 900,000 KRW per month
- Degree Completion Grants: 100,000 KRW (offered once) – Offered to GKS scholars who return to their home countries after completing their degree coursework under the scholarship program. – NOT offered to GKS scholars who decide to remain in Korea after completing their degree coursework.
- 1-Year Korean Language Training Fee: Fully covered ○ Degree Program Tuition: Fully covered – Tuition amount covered by NIIED is maximum 5million KRW, and the amount that exceeds 5 million KRW will be covered by scholar’s university. – University Admission fees are waived for GKS scholars.
- Airfare: from home country and return fare
- Medical Insurance: 60,000 KRW per month
- Korean Proficiency Grants: 100,000 KRW per month – This special additional grant is given only to GKS scholars in the degree program who hold valid TOPIK level 5 or 6 for the period of exam validity.
How to Apply for Global Korea Scholarship (GKS)
To apply for the fully funded Korean Government Scholarship 2021, you are first required to apply for admission into any university in Korea following the steps below;
- STEP1: Select Course
- STEP2: Select University and Major Study
- STEP3: Fill in an Admission Application
- STEP4: Upload Additional Documents
- STEP5: Final Verification
Please note that deadlines are set by embassies of applicants’ home countries