Are you one of the people who always like to analyze the causes of things and listen to others? So, the degree in Psychology could be one of the options for your training as a university since it encompasses many of these fields that you have just read, in addition to being one of the most humane careers par excellence.
If you want to find out details such as: what a Psychologist does in his day to day, what are the advantages and disadvantages of studying a career like this, who are some of the most prominent psychologists in the country as well as the approximate salary of a Degree in Psychology, well what do you think? You are in the right place! Next, we are going to clear all those doubts so that you have a much clearer picture of a professional in this area.
What is the career of Psychology?
A graduate in Psychology is a professional who is formed with the bases of many psychological theories, in order to understand and explain human behavior to help people make useful decisions in their daily lives as well as to be able to treat a specific situation in their life (disorder, trauma, depression, etc).
Due to their holistic training, a professional in this area can develop in various areas of human behavior such as: clinical psychology, psychology focused on the subject of health, family, couple, educational psychology, and even in the workplace.
What does a Bachelor of Psychology do?
So that the definition of the action of a psychologist does not seem so far-fetched, here are some examples of his actions so that you have it clearer.
Example-1: people who have suffered a loss (end of a relationship, death of a family member or similar situations), the psychologist, through certain specific therapies can help the person to recover from the loss and be able to resume the rhythm of your daily life.
SEE ALSO: Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
Example-2: within an organization of any nature, the psychologist can work in the Human Resources area to understand the profiles of the staff as well as the candidates to detect areas of opportunity in them and make recommendations to achieve the objectives of the company.
Example-3: in educational institutions that work with children, a psychologist can be involved in the way of educating students as well as recommend techniques (to parents and teachers) to promote their well-being and integral development. In schools with adolescent students, the latter can act as a sexual or vocational counselor to dispel any type of doubt that students may have in these fields.
Consider studying psychology if …
- You like analyzing the causes and effects of all the things that happen around you.
- You are interested in understanding at a much deeper level the way in which the human mind works and how it can be such a powerful instrument for the human being.
- You are good at observing people, interacting with them, and listening to them when they have a problem.
- You see yourself working in an educational institution or in a public or private company interacting with their human talent.
Where does a Psychologist work?
This answer may seem very simple but it is totally true: anywhere there are people. Seen from this point of view, the areas of action of a psychologist can be the following:
- Any government agency where, within its objectives, the well-being of the human being is implicit: Integral Development of the Family (DIF), Ministry of Health (SSA), Ministry of Social Development (Sedesol), in the creation of programs that help to achieve this end.
- A private company in the Human Resources area; being in charge of the analysis of the candidates: personality studies and psychometric tests to find the candidates most similar to the position sought.
- Children’s educational institutions (nursery, kindergarten, and primary), in joint work with Pedagogues and Educators, to act as advisors in the educational currents to be used in order to transmit knowledge to students. Secondary or preparatory schools, serving as an educational or vocational counselor in those students who present some problematic behaviors before their studies or their peers.
- Law firms and firms specialized in organizational behavior; offering companies constant training and development programs for their staff. Other fields
- In addition to the ones you just read, there are other fields that psychologists can tread and within them, they can find job opportunities, these are:
- In Social Readaptation Centers (Cereso) with people who have committed criminal behavior to understand their situation and the reasons why it was carried out. Also, they can work in the areas of attention to the aggrieved persons.
- In Clinics specialized in the control of addictions: alcoholism, drug addiction or gambling addicts to help them with the channeling of emotions, anxiety and work on possible crises that could develop along the way.
- In companies dedicated to market studies, especially in the qualitative area; to interpret and analyze the responses of study subjects in qualitative interviews.
- In charge of his own practice, attending to patients with different types of mental or personality disorders to control them and give them the necessary tools to overcome or cope with them, as the case may be.
- Within any of the houses of higher education in our country, as a researcher or as a professor of the degree in Psychology or any related discipline.
Career options in Psychology
- Academic Advisor
- Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse
- Advertising Agent
- Animal Trainer
- Animal Researcher
- Case Worker
- Childcare Worker
- Child Psychologist
- College Admissions Counselor
- Comparative Psychologist
- Community Counselor
- Counseling Psychologist
- Correctional Treatment Specialist
- Criminal Investigator
- Crisis Counselor
- Cognitive Psychologist
- College Admissions Officer
- College Recruiter
- Customer Service Agent
- Developmental Psychologist
- Education Administrator
- Educational Psychologist
- Elementary School Teacher
- Employment Interviewer
- Employment Recruiter
- Environmental Psychologist
- Family and Marriage Therapist
- Financial Aid Counselor
- Grief Counselor
- Human Factors Psychologist
- Human Resources Manager
- Human Resources Specialist
- Library Assistant
- Literary Agent
- Market Researcher
- Mental Health Coordinator
- Military Psychologist
- Music Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Police Officer
- Probation Officer
- Psychiatric Social Worker
- Psychiatric Technician
- Psychosocial Rehabilitation Worker
- Public Opinion Surveyor
- Public Relations Specialist
- Psychiatric Aide
- Recreational Therapist
- Rehabilitation Counselor
- Research Assistant
- School Counselor
- Secondary School Teacher
- Science Writer
- Social Psychologist
- Social Services Specialist
- Social Worker
- Substance Abuse Counselor
- Technical Writer
- University Psychology Professor
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
- Youth Counselor
Where to study psychology
For universities where you can study, you will not stop! There are many in the country that offer this academic program, just search for the institution that best fits you.
Subjects that are seen in the career of Psychology
To give you an idea of what is seen in this career, we present below some of the most important subjects:
- History of Psychology
- Cinical Psychology Models
- Approaches to the Health-Disease process
- Clinical method
- Organizational behavior
- Inferential and Descriptive Statistics
- Educational psychology
- Personality theories
- Adolescent Psychology
How much does a Psychologist earn?
According to an article by Forbes in January 2020. The annual national average salary for a psychologist in the United States is $85,340. This average is 64% higher than the average for all occupations.
The best thing about studying psychology
It is a career that can be studied practically anywhere in the country; almost every state has at least one school for psychology. In addition to this, it will suit your needs because you can study at public, private, or online universities.
Being so extensive, it has many fields of specialization: organizational, educational, clinical, health-disease, or social, which will allow you to choose from a much broader field.
SEE ALSO: What is school counseling?
If you decide to do so, you can be an important change agent in society. In psychologists is the key to the readjustment of prisoners to society as well as that people who suffer from addiction can fully rehabilitate.
All your knowledge can be applied to your daily life; to get to know people much better and know how to behave around them, that will be super valuable!
Generally speaking, it is not an expensive career, since during your training you will not require additional or specialized equipment.
Are you ready to accept the challenge?
Now you have much more information so that you can draw on it and make one of the most important decisions in your life. If everything you read beats you, we assure you that it is nothing, when you study the degree you will realize that you fell short! Now is the time to choose it and thus become one of the psychologists that our country needs success!