Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – Founded to accelerate the nation’s industrial revolution, MIT is profoundly American. The MIT community is driven by a shared purpose: to make a better world through education, research, and innovation. With ingenuity and drive, our graduates have invented fundamental technologies, launched new industries, and created millions of American jobs. At the same time, and without the slightest sense of contradiction, MIT is profoundly global.
TARL Africa is a new initiative jointly led by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Adul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) and the NGO Pratham.
TaRL Numeracy and Hausa Content Associate Recruitment at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). See the job details below before sending your application.
Job Title: TaRL Numeracy and Hausa Content Associate: Nigeria
Duration: Fixed Term, November 2020 – December 2021 with the possibility of renewal subject to donor funding
Reports to: Kebbi State TaRL Manager with support from TaRL Africa Central Content Team
- Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa seeks a Numeracy and Hausa Content Associate to support the design and continual improvement of the numeracy and Hausa reading components of TaRL interventions in Nigeria
- The role will be focused initially on supporting content development and capacity building exercises for TaRL activities in Kebbi state
- The Numeracy and Hausa Content Associate will work as part of a small team who will work for hand in hand with the Kebbi state government to improve learning outcomes in Nigeria
- The role requires someone passionate about education, dedicated, flexible, solutions-oriented and caring.
- The position will be based in Kebbi within frequent travel within the state.
About Teaching at the Right Level Africa
TaRL Africa is a newly formalized partnership between Education NGO, Pratham, and research centre JPAL, who have been working together developing cost-effective, scalable literacy and Numeracy interventions for more than 15 years. The fruits of these efforts have been the development of what we now refer to as the TaRL.
The TaRL approach, pioneered by Pratham, helps children develop basic reading and numeracy skills. In TaRL classroom: children are assessed on basic reading and numeracy using a simple tool; grouped by learning level, rather than by grade, for a dedicated time when they focus on building foundational skills through activities and materials appropriate for each group. As children progress, they move to the next learning group and continue to grow.
- Become an expert in TaRL instruction and support
- Work with TaRL Africa team to develop a deep understanding of the TaRL approach and learn techniques for providing instructional support
- Practice the TaRL methodology in the classroom to build the practical skillset
- Support the development of instructional content for numeracy
- Refine and continually improve teaching and learning resources and techniques through spending time in the classroom testing new materials and classroom techniques which respond to challenges identified through data and experience, as well as working with teachers and government officials to reflect on the content and mould are required
- Track and document innovative teaching practices across the project
- Support the alignment of the numeracy component with literacy components to meet the programme objectives/outcomes and work plan
- Build the capacity of instructors and mentors
- Work with appropriate government officials and TaRL Content Team colleagues to design, organize, and support/lead training/workshops.
- Support teachers and mentors to deliver effective numeracy instruction, including support with lesson planning and producing tailored teaching and learning resources
- Provide quality assurance of training and mentoring of teachers and student teachers by Master Trainers and Teacher Trainer/Mentors.
In addition, the Numeracy Content Associate will be expected to:
- Support the TaRL State Manager in preparing technical and programme reports for the programme advisory board
- Support the management of key relationships with stakeholders in state and national education systems,
- particularly the Kano State Ministry of Education, Kano State Universal Basic Education Board, Local Government Education Authorities.
- Develop and maintain a strong relationship with the Central and Nigerian TaRL teams and collaboratively with programme team members
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Teaching or a related field; A PGDE and / or Master’s Degree preferred
- A minimum of (4) four years experience working within the education space
- Working knowledge of local curriculum, textbook analysis, instructional practices and assessment tools preferred
- Good command of written and spoken English.
- Experience working in Northern Nigeria
- Strong preference for Kebbi State resident
- Language skills: Hausa.
15th October, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a writing assessment, followed by an interview process
- Due to the large volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to shortlisted applicants.
To apply for this job please visit www.teachingattherightlevel.org.