Paga is a licensed financial services company and a leading payments company in Nigeria with a massive transformative purpose – to make it simple for one billion people to access and use money. It was founded on the simple belief that the ubiquity of mobile phones can be leveraged in building an ecosystem that enables people to digitally send and receive money and creating simple financial access for everyone.
Job Title: Senior Software Engineer
Location: Yaba, Lagos
Sector: Financial Technology Services
Reports to: Lead Software Engineer
- Our purpose at Paga is to make it simple for 1 billion people to access and use money. We do that by delivering innovative financial services to the mass market across large, underserved markets.
- At Paga we value above all else, Collaboration, Ownership, Results Orientation Integrity and Innovation (CORII).
- Product development activities at Paga fall within the Product Development group, which has distinct, full-stack (from a resource perspective) teams dedicated to different functional organization unit in the company. For example, one of the functional teams in the Product Development team is the Agent Network Team which is responsible for development and delivery of products used by the large network of financial service delivery point (agents), across the countries where Paga exists.
- As a full-stack team, this team includes project management, product management, software and database engineering, quality assurance, and UI/UX/Product-Design resources. All teams execute product development using agile (Scrum) methodologies.
- As a Senior Software Engineer at Paga, you will be responsible for efficiently implementing advanced components of the Paga platform to high standards of quality, with minimal oversight well-structured, effective functional execution, scalability and reliability.
- You will also be expected to provide technical leadership within your software engineering team and the broader product development team.
- A Paga senior software engineer is also expected to engage and contribute to technical and business strategic development for the functional area of the product in which they work.
- Paga has a distributed product development team with resources split between Lagos, Mexico City, London and Addis Ababa, so this role, comes with the expectation of very strong remote collaboration and self-management skills.
- There will be the possibility of occasional, but rare (twice a year at most) travel to some of the Paga office locations for training, team events, user-engagement and general market-empathy development.
To be an effective Senior Software Engineer at Paga you must:
- Be able to quickly grasp abstract concepts and translate them into appropriately abstract or detailed software design and implementation.
- Be comfortable taking on ownership for broad and important areas of enterprise software implementation.
- Be a strong collaborator with and strong interest in supporting and developing the capacity of other engineers in the organization
- Be able to multi-task well and be comfortable juggling multiple product-development streams at once
- Be comfortable with rapid change and be willing to take ownership to deliver results in a high-pressure product development environment
- Have a passion for quality and an ability and willingness to grow the ability of others in your team to meet those standards
- As a distributed product development team member, communication and collaboration are key. You will need to be excellent at utilizing remote communication tools and applying clear communication and collaboration practices to effectively engage with your “customers”, teammates and other company stakeholders.
- Broad-scoped Technical Implementation – Taking abstract concepts and functional requirements and implementing concrete solutions across broad areas of the platform relatively independently, often involving complex software structures and concepts
- Technical Leadership – Providing technical leadership, review, training and professional development to more-junior software engineers. Providing high-quality code review support. Actively engaging to improve the Paga software engineering practice through innovations in the platform and software engineering processes.
- Strategic Engagement – Contributing to technical and business strategic development for the functional area(s) of the product in which they work.
- Partner Engagement – Working effectively with industry/ecosystem partners to accomplish product goals
- A degree in a related discipline
- 6+ years of continuous experience working on enterprise software application development
- Or an advanced degree in a related discipline and at least 4 years of continuous experience working on enterprise software application development.
- Excellent software development skills.
- Excellent J2EE & Spring Framework software development experience
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Agile development experience
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Strong multi-tasking and self-management skills
- Curious, self-driven and meticulous
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
To apply for this job please visit paga.bamboohr.com.