Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI)
Senior Programme Officer, Conflict and Disaster Risk Reduction at Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI). Please ensure you read the job requirements before applying for this position.
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Senior Programme Officer, Conflict and Disaster Risk Reduction
Location: Rabah, Goronyo – Sokoto
Base: Sokoto as main Base Office, with frequent trips to Rabah LGA, Goronyo LGA and sometimes visiting Kaduna
Employment Type: Full-time
- Under the supervision of COOPI Programme Team, the Senior Programme Officer Conflict and DRR will ensure timely, effective, and efficient support in disaster risk management activities for Improved Early Warning Systems and Social Safety Nets for rapid disaster response in North West Nigeria with a special focus on Sokoto State.
- He/She will work in building the disaster and response preparedness capacities of the project communities and stakeholders to enable them to improve their disaster management capacities before, during, and after disasters.
- The post holder will support and monitor the implementation of the project: Improved Early Warning Systems and Social Safety Nets for rapid disaster response in North West Nigeria with a special focus on Sokoto State, ensuring timely and quality delivery of operations according to COOPI standards and requirements.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager and Project managers, the Senior Programme Officer Conflict and DRR will perform the under listed tasks:
- Build capacity and competencies of northwest Nigeria with a special focus on Sokoto State Government agencies on Disaster Management and support them in becoming a relevant partner for Disaster Risk Management in their respective countries.
- Coordinate the scaling-up of the ‘Preparedness for Effective Response’ approach and improving coordination and harmonization of DRM capacity-building approaches.
- Support North West Nigeria with a special focus on Sokoto State to analyze and integrate livelihoods, disaster risk reduction, and climate change adaptation and mitigation concerns into disaster preparedness, response, cash, and recovery programming.
- Support North West Nigeria with a special focus on Sokoto State with the process of hazards mapping, development, and review of Contingency Plans, SOPs at the state and LGA levels.
- Ensure northwest Nigeria with a special focus on Sokoto State is familiar with the various tools and guidelines for disaster risk management, interventions and that operations and activities are managed and implemented in accordance with the Federation’s strategic program framework and agreed to standards including COOPI’s Code of Conduct, Sphere Standards and Humanitarian Accountability Partnership.
- Conduct monitoring and supervisory visits to relevant COOPI program activity sites in the field.
- Support COOPI in the development and deployment of disaster risk management proposals.
- Organize monthly the LGA level Disaster Management Advisory Group (ADMAG) meeting to enhance collaboration and coordination of all actors within the LGA and stated.
- Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations;
- Participate in relevant meetings with COOPI partners, Governments, donors, NGOs, and UN Agencies co-financing and implementing initiatives for disaster risk management.
- Perform other duties in addition to the above responsibilities, commensurate with background and experience as deemed necessary by Supervisor.
- Work closely with the project team and the beneficiaries to ensure activities are being implemented in a gender-sensitive manner.
- Ensure equal participation of women and men in the activities and ensure to have an appropriate complaint and feedback mechanism to collect the communities’ feedback in a gender-sensitive manner and ensure that the program includes these feedbacks throughout the project implementation
- Ensure the Do No Harm approach is applied in all activities conducted with the site and host communities.
- Ensures gender is mainstreamed in various stakeholder meetings and capacity building.
- Prepares and forwards to the Program Manager and Protection Manager monthly work plans and progress reports for the entire Child Protection project based on set indicators for the 5W matrix and any other required reporting to partners and donors;
- Collects and documents success stories and photographs for reports;
Networking and Partnerships:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, partners, project stakeholders, and other organizations
- Provision of technical guidance and oversight to the projects within the areas of operations in establishing preparedness systems, development of standard operating procedures for Forecast Based Financing (FbF), and in establishing and managing FbF partnerships.
- Advanced University Degree in Development Studies, Project Management, Disaster Management or other relevant field.
- Professional training in disaster risk management and or social protection.
- At least five years of relevant experience in the field of disaster risk management
- At least 3 years of working for a humanitarian aid organisation
- Experience of planning and managing finances and budgets
Knowledge, Skills and Languages:
- Strong and highly developed technical skills in disaster risk management international practices
- Self-supporting in computers (word processing, spreadsheets, internet and web-based searching etc.)
- Solid and tested analytical skills
- Operational management and reporting skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and networking skills
- Fluently spoken and written in English is required
- Have a knowledge of a local language preferably Hausa.
Competencies and values:
- National Society Relations
- Teamwork-interpersonal skills
- Integrity and personal conduct
- Communication Managerial effectiveness
- Initiative and direction
- Flexibility, Patience and adaptability-sensitivity to diversity
- Adhere to COOPI values and abide by the code of conduct and other policies.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Candidates from and or living Sokoto will be prioritized.
- Please note that any late application or incomplete submission will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately.
- Applicants shall be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.