Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Program Manager II – Livestock at Catholic Relief Services (CRS). Please ensure you read the job requirements before applying for this position.
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work are accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager II – Livestock
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- This position is contingent upon approved funding by the donor.
- We are seeking qualified Livestock Program Manager candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded 5-year Feed the Future Nigeria Livestock Development Activity in Nigeria.
- The Activity will potentially explore practical, cost-effective, and multi-stakeholder adaptation solutions to improve the livelihoods of poor and vulnerable communities in target states through:
- Improved agricultural productivity, livelihood and agroecosystem resilience through climate-smart practices;
- Improved ecological and environmental services and functions, including enhanced climate-resilient water and other resource management and supply systems in vulnerable agro-pastoral communities;
- Strengthened institutional capacity to reduce risks associated with climate-induced socio-economic losses and livelihood failures in the target states; and
- Improved and productive livestock systems to improve food security and nutrition by improving the consumption of animal source/protein foods, providing income generation opportunities, and fostering mutual relationships among targeted households and communities.
- You will manage and provide technical oversight of the development and implementation of the Nigeria Livestock Development Activity’s livestock programming, ensuring effective systems and processes are in place that supports high-quality programming advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that the project delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its livestock programming.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Provide management, guidance, and technical oversight of the Nigeria Livestock Development Activity project in the livestock technical sector and throughout the project cycle to ensure project start-up, implementation and close-out are in line with CRS quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices.
- Effectively manage talent for the livestock sector and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Lead the development of program learning – identify opportunities for learning, research and publications in the livestock sector and implementation of MEAL policy. Facilitate the dissemination of promising practices and lessons learned to contribute to the agency’s knowledge management agenda. Ensure integration of innovations and best practices.
- Oversee technical assistance and capacity strengthening activities within the livestock sector for staff and partner organizations to enhance program quality and impact.
- Oversee the identification, assessment and strengthening of partnerships relevant to livestock and the appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
- Ensure timely and appropriate project expenditures in line with financial plans and efficient use and stewardship of project material sources.
- Master’s Degree in Animal Sciences, Veterinary Sciences, Animal Husbandry or in a related field required.
- Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in relevant field-based project management experience required, with preferably at least 2-3 years working in the area of livestock.
- Experience in managing moderately complex projects, preferably with an international NGO.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications in English.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 30%.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to make sound judgment and decisions and offer innovative solutions
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally.Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Good presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Understanding of the Nigerian livestock sector, including as pertinent to pastoralism
- Good experience in project grants management, including project design, preferably for grants from multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Demonstrated ability to write high-quality technical proposals.
- Experience engaging with partner organizations
- MEAL skills and experience required.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, and information management systems.
- To be determined.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal – Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, Country Representative, Deputy Country Representative – Programs, Deputy Country Representative – Operations, Deputy Head of Programs, MEAL Manager, Project Technical staff, Finance Manager, Regional Technical Advisor for Agriculture and Livelihoods.
- External – USAID, Project partner staff, Relevant ministries (livestock, agriculture, environment, etc.), other government of Nigeria stakeholders, Local implementing partners, and Private sector actors.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations.
- Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
- Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, efforts, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm.
- CRS welcomes candidates from the countries and regions in which we work. In the event the successful candidate is an expatriate or global telecommuter, the anticipated duration of the assignment is informed by a term limit, based on the type and level of the job and the needs of the agency.
- CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.