Head of English for Education Systems (EES) Nigeria at British Council. Please ensure you read the job requirements before applying for this position.
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by the Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of English for Education Systems (EES) Nigeria
Location: Abuja / Kano
Pay band: PB8
Department: Business Delivery
Contract type: Locally Engaged
Duration: 3 Year Fixed Term
- The successful candidate will lead the English for Education Systems (EES) portfolio of contracts and programmes in Nigeria, providing technical sector expertise.
- The post holder will oversee business development and quality, compliant delivery of programmes and contracts to improve standards of the teaching, learning and assessment of English.
- The Head of EES will also share knowledge, expertise and best practice from Nigeria with the regional and global English for Education Systems teams and externally.
Main Opportunities / Challenges for this Role
- Position Nigeria as one of the leading English for Education Systems (EES) countries in the region.
- Build a transformational and impactful EES programme in Nigeria, ensuring that quality teacher training, teaching and appropriate delivery, including digital and radio, are at the heart of the approach.
- Embed gender-transformative programmes within the EES portfolio.
- Design innovative, evidence-based EES programmes with strong monitoring, evaluation, research and learning elements underpinning the programmes.
- Actively seek partnership and full-cost recovery funding for the EES programmes.
- Qualified to postgraduate degree level in ELT or other English-specific qualification
- Minimum 5 years experience of managing teacher education projects
- Minimum 5 years experience of delivering externally funded projects or programmes
- Direct experience of client funded contract pursuit
- Experience of overseeing monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) within projects and incorporating lessons learned from MEL into programmes and strategy
- Experience of engaging with diverse stakeholders including multilateral agencies, donors, government officials, academics
- TEFL-Q – A diploma-level qualification in teaching English as a foreign/second language that meets accreditation UK requirements
- Experience of managing teacher education projects for English language teachers
- Experience of managing online teacher education projects
- Experience of writing for academic journals and presenting at international conferences
Role Specific Skills:
- The candidate will need to:
- Lead on strategy and process development for innovative English/ education solutions
- Lead on the development and implementation of quality standards for English/ education
- Lead on strategy and commissioning of global thought leadership outputs, such as publications
- Lead on relationships with UK sector
- Candidates must have the current legal right to live and work in Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
4th July, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
To apply for this job please visit careers.britishcouncil.org.