International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
Graduate IT Intern Job at the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
About International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with 190 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
Job Title: IT Intern
Vacancy No: IFRC04736
Duration: 3 Months
Category of Staff: Internship
Grade: Not applicable
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
- The IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
- The IFRC is led by its Secretary General and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
- The IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. The IFRC also has country cluster delegation and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
- The IFRC office in Abuja is the hub to support the Red Cross-National Societies of the West Coast Cluster (Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast and Liberia) and has a status agreement with Nigerian government. The West Coast cluster office deliver the IFRC mandate in the sub-region with a focus on Disaster Management, Capacity Building of the National Societies and Humanitarian Diplomacy.
- Under the direct supervision and the guidance of the Head of West Coast Cluster, the IT Intern (Nigeria) will support the IFRC Country Cluster office in matters relating to IT management i.e; software and hardware installations and overall organizational IT duties. While formally reporting to Head of West Coast Cluster, he / she will be operationally managed by the IT manager Africa Region.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
He / she will have the following responsibilities:
- Daily routine-check on accessibility and availability of server services and internet connectivity.
- Monitor the internet bandwidth in the IFRC office and residence and report any problem to the line manager and ISP.
- Install new software releases, system upgrades, evaluate and install patches and resolve software-related problems according to Federation standards.
- Properly maintain all IT and Telecom equipment including computers, printers, mobile phones, satphone, scanner machine, radios and etc.
- Train users on cloud backups (One drive/share point/teams) and perform secondary back up if required of data of all staff in the local file server / NAS and WD Western Digital storage device.
- Monthly checks with users on antivirus and information security on all computers.
- Provide technical support to staff regarding computer hardware, software, network maintenance, and backups.
- To ensure the effective functioning of computer equipment and networks according to IFRC standards.
- Develop and provide support to all users in the use of Ms Office and other necessary software applications if required.
- Updating IT inventory, completing the IT item damage report, and managing the handover of IT assets in conjunction with the IFRC staff Policy and procedures.
- Ensuring proper communication and coordination with centralized inventory and asset management unit or focal point.
- Procure and repair computer equipment (hardware / software) and network according to IFRC procedures.
- Use and disseminate existing procedures, operating and training manuals, and if required adapt them to the local situation
- Provide appropriate and regular training to users so that all computer equipment and software is used in an appropriate way.
- Liaise with line manager and regional IT department for needed upgrading or expansion of the system.
- Provide and receive the communication equipment’s to IFRC staff and IFRC visitors who come to visit IFRC West Coast Cluster
- Provide Help Desk Support – Including but not limited to assistance with password resets account creations, desktop and laptop builds and printer support. Ensuring that computers peripherals such as scanners, printers, photocopiers, monitors, mouse, and others are configured and properly working for all National staff and Delegate.
- Provide support – Including but not limited to anti-virus assistance, Windows 10 support, Microsoft Office support, office 365 support, general laptop, desktop and printer repair, and light network troubleshooting.
- Provide assistance to end users for the configuration and troubleshooting of Microsoft products such as Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, etc
- Hardware Inventory – This position will support with imaging, distributing, and tracking all hardware; also tracking and installing all purchased software. Working in collaboration with the It Manage / IT Team to ensure that end users computers are setup and configured with the IFRC standard Operating system and applications versions (IFRC image).
- Maintaining an up-to-date IT documentation reflecting current computers assets status and network configurations
- Organize a filing system for tracking important and confidential IT documents:
- Adhere to the IFRC Policies and Procedures
- Undertake other duties as are reasonably required
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer science and / or equivalent in relevant field
- 1-2 years’ experience of work in computer, LAN, WAN, TCP / IP connectivity, installing, maintaining, repairing and using current e-mail & computer systems and networks, including user support.
- Knowledge of IT technologies and tools
- Understanding of network switches, routers, modems, wireless connectivity options, media converters, etc.
- Strong troubleshooting skills, with the ability to effectively convey technical troubleshooting results to IT peers for seamless issue resolution x
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Operating systems and Applications suite installation and troubleshooting
- Experience of Radios (HF / VHF)
- Experience in desktop and laptop installation and maintenance
- Experience of working for the Red Cross / Red Crescent
- Good technical writing / documentation skills
Knowledge, skills and languages:
- Excellent skills in computer hardware and software (Windows, DOS, spreadsheets, word processing, databases and other programmes), computer hardware maintenance & repairs
- Strong communication skills
- Computer Literate (especially excel, word, power point)
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Initiative and flexibility
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
Competencies and values:
- Core competencies: Communications, Collaboration & Teamwork, Judgment & Decision Making, National Society & Customer Relations, Creativity & Innovation, Building Trust.
- Values: Respect for Diversity, Integrity, Professionalism, Accountability
27th December, 2020. (Geneva time zone)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
To apply for this job please visit www.ifrc.org.