Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD)
The Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD) was established in the United Kingdom in 1997 and subsequently registered in Lagos, Nigeria in 1999 as an independent, not-for-profit, research, training, advocacy, and capacity-building organization. The Centre was founded to mobilize global opinion and resources for democratic development and provide an independent space to reflect critically on the challenges posed to the democratization and development processes in the West Africa sub region. As the foremost think tank on democratization and development in West Africa, CDD provides alternatives and best practices in support of democracy and good governance in the region.
CDD is in an exciting phase of its development. It is rapidly expanding its capacity to engage on emergent issues that will shape West African affairs in the coming decade. For example, it is expanding its portfolio on technology and society projects, including combatting false information, studying the use of technology in political campaigning, and an online tool to keep the Nigerian president accountable to his campaign policies. CDD will not stop there it is looking into Fourth Industrial Revolution technologies like Artificial Intelligence and how they will impact society. All this builds upon its established capacity to engage on issues of transitional justice, insecurity and conflict, peace and mediation, and gender rights.
We are recruiting to fill the positions of:
Job Title: Editor (Internship)
- As a research and advocacy organization, CDD’s written work is essential in fundraising, engaging with stakeholders, and ultimately making sure its engagements achieve the desired outcomes.
- To bolster the quality of CDD’s publications we have opened an exciting opportunity for two interns to support CDD’s Programs Team.
- These interns will edit and prepare written proposals, reports, and other communications across CDD’s areas of intervention.
- This internship will be remote.
Who You Are
- Excellent command of grammar, usage, style, and tone
- First-rate organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines
- Superior proofreading and editing skills
- Comfortable with complex policy issues
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and PowerPoint)
- 3-6 months (Rolling Applications, you will indicate your availability)
What We Offer
- We are in the process of creating a CDD editorial and writing guide, to standardize CDD’s writing process – based on your experiences, you will have the opportunity to draft a guide by the end of your internship! To give interns more responsibility and ownership of the program and time at CDD, we are trialing a system where interns spend the last few weeks of their internship selecting the next crop of interns. From the internship requirements to interviews, you decide it all, in consort with fellow interns – a unique teamwork opportunity for sure! We offer a modest stipend.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should please submit a current resume and a one-paged cover letter that tells us why you’re interested in working at CDD and include the days and hours you will be available to work to: [email protected] using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
- Applications without a resume and cover letter will not be considered.
- Due to the anticipated volume of interest, we are unable to respond to telephone or email inquiries regarding this position. CDD is an equal opportunity employer
Application Deadline 9th June, 2020.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org