Job Title: Broadcast Journalist/Reporter (Hausa)
Job Reference: BBC/TP/653414/44097
Contract Type: Fixed term
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
- The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation is a private foundation based in United States. It makes grants to support non-profit organizations in approximately 50 countries around the world.
- In Nigeria, its activities involve promoting transparent and efficient use of public resources in basic education with emphasis on the Universal Basic Education Commission’s matching grant fund and the Home Grown School Feeding programme.
- It is also bringing together regulators and other stakeholders in the electricity sector to raise consumer awareness and pilot new approaches to improving transparency in electricity distribution.
- The foundation is also working to promote accountability in governance.
- The BBC World Service is teaming up the MacArthur Foundation to produce and publish a series of multimedia content around these key areas.
- We are looking for a seasoned Broadcast Journalist with a track record of filed reporting excellence – especially in Nigeria – to work on the project. The role is based in Abuja but frequent travel is required for on-location recording in different parts of Nigeria. The series will originally be in Hausa with the BBC Hausa Service and other partner stations airing the radio content. The project will also have strong digital components which will also go on BBC and partner platforms. The format will involve debates and town halls as well as other short reports and self-authored pieces to be recorded in different parts of Nigeria.
- In this role, you are to generate strong ideas around the key intervention areas of the project and translate the ideas into engaging, creative multimedia content in Hausa and English.
- Researching, scripting and packaging across platforms
- Adapting content for digital platforms
- Reversioning content for use by external partners and other BBC platforms
- Interviewing, presenting and moderating debates/town halls
- Tracking content performance on social media
- Preparing interview briefs and sourcing background information on any topic as may be assigned to you
- Booking guests and audience for debates/town hall events
Skills and Competencies for Broadcast Journalist/Reporter (Hausa) job
- Proficiency in English and Hausa
- Sound editorial judgement
- Strong journalism and field reporting experience
- Knowledge of TV production and use of social media platforms to drive engagement
- Familiarity with the Nigerian media landscape
- Evidence of strong, impactful journalism
- A good knowledge of production and distribution processes, techniques and technology
- Ability to produce and present in both English and Hausa
- Good interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationship with other colleagues
- Having (or ability to source) a wide range of contacts in the key intervention areas
- Strong organizational/planning skills and ability to manage conflicting demands to meet deadlines
- Good social media skills.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Please use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
To apply for this job please visit careerssearch.bbc.co.uk.