How to check if a company is Registered in Nigeria: Over the year most people have been defrauded by companies with no identity or legal name. This has made a lot of people careful of companies they deal with on daily basis.
Today, we will be showing you how to check if a company is registered in Nigeria. To avoid you been scammed by unregistered company names in Nigeria, you need to know if the company you want to do business with is registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).
Before we continue let us know little about the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).
Things you need to know about the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)
The Corporate Affairs Commission was set up by the companies and allied matters Act, which was promulgated in 1990 to regulate the formation and management of companies in Nigeria.
The establishment of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) as an autonomous body was a result of the perceived inefficiency and ineffectiveness of the erstwhile company registry,
a department within the Federal Ministry of Commerce and Tourism which was then responsible for the registration and administration of the repealed Companies Act of 1968.
Some Functions of the Commission
The functions of the commission as set out in section 7 of the companies and Allied Matter Act, Includes the following:
- To administer the Act, including the regulation and supervision of formation incorporation, management and winding up of companies
- To establish, maintain company registry and offices in all the states of the Federation suitably and adequately equipped to discharge its functions under the Act or any law in respect of which it is charged with responsibility.
- Arrange and conduct an investigation into the affairs of any company where the interests of the shareholders and the public so demand.
- To undertake such other activities as are necessary or expedient for giving full effect to the provisions of the Act.
- The Commission also registers Business Names, and incorporated Trustees as well as provide a wide range of ancillary services
How to check if a company is registered
To cut down the risk of unsuspecting individuals or entities transacting with unregistered companies with no legitimate status, the Corporate Affairs Commission has launched a public search portal on its website where one can confirm the registration of a company.
- First, visit the corporate affairs commission website at https://publicsearch.cac.gov.ng/ComSearch/ and chose the “Public Search” service on the landing page.
- You will be automatically directed to the search page. Enter the name of the company you wish to confirm if it’s registered in the search engine with the heading “Search Record by Name”
- Click on the square box below the search engine to verify that you are human
- Then you can click on “Search”. The search result will show up before you know it. If the company is registered, the search will return with the result showing the details of the company and CAC registration status.
At the end of the search, you will see the following:
- Name of the company,
- RC number,
- The address of the company,
- Date of registration.
If the company is still undergoing registration, the result will return without the RC number and address. You will see undergoing registration under the date of the registration column and not yet assigned to the RC number column.
How do I find out if a company is registered with CAC?
To find out if a company is registered with CAC First, you need to visit the corporate affairs commission website at https://publicsearch.cac.gov.ng/ComSearch/ and chose the “Public Search” service on the landing page.
Checking if a company is registered in Nigeria with the CAC will help you to deal with the company without fear of been scammed. We encourage you to always do this whenever you have doubt in your heart about a company.