DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance (Germany). To apply for the Helmut Schmidt scholarship all applicants are meant to go through the listed requirements before they can be considered.
The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance Programme offers very good graduates from developing countries the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country at German institutions of higher education.
Participating Programmes in Host Institutions:
The scholarships are awarded for selected Master courses at German institutions of higher education listed below:
• Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg: MA Analysis and Design of Social Protection Systems (Blended-learning)
• University of Duisburg-Essen: MA Development and Governance
• Willy Brandt School of Public Policy at the University of Erfurt: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
• Universität Magdeburg: Peace and Conflict Studies
• Hochschule Osnabrück: Management in Non-Profit Organisations
• Universität Passau: Development Studies
• University of Passau: Master of Governance and Public Policy
• University of Potsdam: Master of Public Management (MPM)
The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German and/or English.
The scholarship scheme is open to candidates from Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa; Latin America; Asia and the Pacific, Western, Central, South-Eastern Europe; Eastern Europe, Central Asia & South Caucasus; and the Middle East and North Africa. See the list of eligible countries.
DAAD scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are exempted from tuition fees. DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 850 €. The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany, appropriate travel allowance, a study and research subsidy as well as rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable.
Prior to their study programmes, all scholarship holders receive a 6- months-German language course from April 2021 to September 2021.
The main DAAD criteria for selection are:
• Academic degree with far above average results (upper third)
• language skills (every university has different language proficiency
• political and social engagement
• a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany
• expected benefit when returning to the home country or region
The latest university degree should have been obtained during the six years prior to the application for the scholarship. Applicants cannot be considered if they have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of application.
All Master courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants at any case.
Application period starts on 1 June 2020.
Please submit your applications for the selected master`s courses and for the DAAD scholarship to the respective universities only (not to DAAD). You must indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-SchmidtProgramme (Master’s scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance). The application period at all 8 universities lasts from 1 June – 31 July 2020.
It is important to read the 2021 Announcement and visit the official website (found below) to access the application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.