Cyber Systems Operations installs supports and maintains server operating systems or other computer systems and software applications related to its operation, while ensuring that current defensive mechanisms are in place.
Cyber Systems Operations responds to outages and network operations interruptions. Manages server-based network systems, distributed applications, network storage, messages, and application monitoring required to provide, support, operate, and integrate systems and applications connected to the electronic network in protection and in deployed locations. Core competencies include: server operating systems, database management, web technologies, systems-related project management, and electronic systems supervision. Supports identification, exploration and remediation of vulnerabilities while enhancing capabilities within cyber environments to achieve desired impacts.
What does a cyber systems operations analyst do?
As a specialist in electronic systems operations, it is your job to help provide cyber intelligence to the business owner. In this role, you can monitor an emerging threat, help protect a network, or implement new security measures. In any scenario, you are working with a computer for extended periods. This job title often refers to military positions, especially with the United States Air Force, rather than civilian roles that focus exclusively on protecting company assets. Civilian jobs often have titles such as Cybersecurity Specialist. Cyber systems operations professionals may also use electronic systems for offensive roles, such as launching attacks on military targets or gathering information before, during, and after scheduled attacks.
ALSO READ: Automated logistical specialist
How to Become a Cyber Systems Operations Specialist
The basic qualifications to become a specialist in electronic systems operations depend on the employer. Military roles usually require a high school diploma or a bachelor’s degree, followed by basic military training and completion courses at the School of Military Technology. This is a very regulated position and usually requires you to be a US citizen. Additional licenses or industry certifications, such as training in complex computer networks, are desirable and can help you stand out from other applicants applying for these roles.
Cyber Systems Operations duties and responsibilities
- Provides networked application resources by designing, configuring, installing, and managing data services, operating system, and server applications.
- Provides directory services using dynamically assigned Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, Domain Name Server (DNS), network storage devices, and email resources.
- Manages secure authentication methods using Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) technologies and procedures.
- Unifies user privileges and system settings using automated deployment tools such as the Group Policy Management Console (GMPC) and System Management Server (SMS).
- Performs special task and server system security fixes, operating system patches, and antivirus software. Develop, test and implement local recovery and emergency operations plans.
- Processes and reviews of C4 systems requirements documents, communications service requests, status of acquisition letters, and telecom service orders.
- Performs strategic planning and budget planning for networks.
- Manages system resources, to include load, capacity and balance planning.
- Create, manage, and review system accounts.
- Performs system wide backup and restore operations.
- Ensures continued operation of systems by providing continuous improvement and problem-solving support.
- Apply computer security policies to protect systems and information.
- Classifies, isolates and solves system problems.
- Recovers faults by validating, isolating and correcting faults and verifying service restore with customers.
- Operations, documents and coordinates Solve problem calls from low support levels.
- Scheduled operations and authorized interruptions.
- Provides outage reports in response to unscheduled outages.
Cyber Systems Operations specialty qualifications
- Knowledge. Knowledge is mandatory for elements of cyber systems: capabilities, functions and technical methods of system operations.
- Education. To enter this major, high school completion or general education development equivalency is compulsory. Additional courses or certificates in computer and information systems technology are desirable.
- Training. To obtain the AFSC Award, completion of the Electronic Systems Operations Initial Skills course is mandatory.
- Experiment. The following experience is mandatory for the indicated AFSC award:
- 3D052. Qualification and acquisition of AFSC 3D032. Experience in functions such as system operations, multi-user technical support, system restoration, resource counting, or security.
- 3D072. Qualification and acquisition of AFSC 3D052. Experience supervising one of the following functions: system failure analysis and restoration, C-CS operations, command and control systems support, system administration, or project and resource management.
Cyber systems operations Jobs
The Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst will lead the detection, mitigation and remediation of various cyber threats. Estimated: $ 100,000 – $ 140,000 per year
Systems engineering experience with an enterprise-wide system to include tactical systems. Experience as a program systems engineer. Estimated: $ 78,000- $ 110,000 per year
Cyber Watch Analyst will maintain and analyze the Incident Case Management System to identify trends, patterns and actionable information. Estimated: $ 130,000 – $ 170,000 per year
Perform information operations support, including applications and cybersecurity engineering. Previous experience as a Linux, Windows. Estimated Amount: $ 110,000- $ 150,000 per year.
Overseeing and managing cyber, communications, command and control (C2) systems, including computer networks, servers,and databases. Estimated: $ 44,000- $ 61,000 per year
Experience in cloud-based cyber operations. Maintains smooth operation of multi-user computer systems, including coordination with network administrators. Estimated Amount: $ 110,000- $ 150,000 per year
Eight (8) years of current experience in cybersecurity system or solution design and engineering. Recommends solutions to security problems in current systems. Estimated Amount: $ 110,000- $ 150,000 per year.
More than 5 years of experience in systems engineering, computer science, information systems, engineering sciences, or engineering management. Estimated: $ 100,000 – $ 130,000 per year
This position provides systems engineering consulting and assistance services to the Cyber Warfare Mission Systems branch of the USAF Cryptologic and Cyber. Estimated: $ 93,000- $ 120,000 per year