Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) – An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Specialist
Vacancy Announcement: 2303209
Organizational Unit: FRNIR
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Nigeria-Lagos
Duration: 11 months with possible extension
Post Number: N/A
- The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the UN Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) have jointly launched the Agrifood Systems Transformation Accelerator (ASTA), a global programme designed to help Least Developed Countries make their agrifood systems more efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable by fostering partnerships and generating public-private investments.
- ASTA is the first centrepiece of a new collaboration between FAO and UNIDO and helps generate investment in the agrifood system of some of the world’s poorest countries, including through development of value chains, market systems, business models and inclusive finance, in order to help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The incumbent work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative (FAOR) in Nigeria and under the day-to-day joint technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer ESF/HQ and the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), and in direct collaboration with the global ASTA team at ESF /HQ.
- In Nigeria, Lagos State, ASTA will focus on the development of the coconut value chain under the Unilateral Trust Fund project UTF/NIR/078 – “Agri-food System Transformation Accelerator (ASTA)-Upgrading of the Coconut Value Chain in Lagos State.
- The project aims at transforming the coconut value chain by improved technologies that allows for the sustainable production and marketing of high-quality products to substituted imports and increased exports, bringing about increase in incomes, employment, and value-addition along the value chain.
Tasks And Responsibilities
- Lead and manage the technical implementation of all project activities in close collaboration with Government counterparts and FAO technical and financial partners and assures these are in line with the systems-based approach underpinning the ASTA program.
- Supervise preparation of various written outputs, e.g., background papers, analyses, substantial sections of reports as well as studies, and inputs to publications.
- Direct substantive support to consultative meetings and conferences, to include the proposition of agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
- Supervise the development and execution of the M&E system applied in the project.
- Oversee the knowledge management and dissemination of the project outputs.
- Draft Terms of Reference (ToR) for consultants and follow up on their recruitments and assignments in a timely manner.
- Monitor the work of short-term consultants and review their reports.
- Communicate regularly and strengthen the relationships with FAO external technical and financial partners.
- Prepare and submit regular periodic and other reports as deemed necessary
- Manage outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops and seminars; and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties.
- Provide advice to develop policies and strategies as well as national protocols and guidelines related to project work.
- Oversee capacity development activities related to project activities (in very close collaboration with LASCODA) to strengthen Government autonomy in Value Chain Development
- Ensure technical quality assurance and quality control of the technical outputs of the project
- Ensure smooth project implementation through coordination of regular project task force meetings.
- Prepare detailed work plans for the project in collaboration with project staff and stakeholders and make implementation arrangements for the field activities and trainings.
- Review and update regularly the project’s annual implementation plans and budgets, in coordination with the project team.
- Perform any other related tasks as and when requested
Candidates will be Assessed Against the Following
- University Degree in Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, or Food Industries with focus on value chain development, or in agriculture or horticulture with specialization in crop improvement, production systems, integrated crop management, or other related disciplines, is required.
- At least 10 years of experience in agricultural development, and implementation of value chain development projects (including agribusiness, market system, processing, and investment/finance aspects) with recognized technical expertise.
- Experience working on the coconut value chain is highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other official FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, and Russian)
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical / Functional Skills:
- Readiness to carry out visits to project sites and duty travel as required.
- Good computer skills
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately.
- Strong management skills including the ability to provide strategic guidance, and technical oversight, build strong teams, mentor staff, develop plans, and manage budgets and project expenditures.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in emergency situations with tight deadlines.
- Excellent team-building and cross-cultural skills;
- Communication skills to maintain good working relationships with people from different nationality and cultural backgrounds.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd November, 2023 (11:59:00 PM).