The Governing Council of Gombe State University, Gombe hereby invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University, ex-officio Chairman of the Senate and Member of the Governing Council of the University. Among other functions, the Vice Chancellor shall:
- Be competent at all times to advise the Council on any matter affecting the policy, finance, and administration of the university.
- Be generally responsible to the Council for maintaining the efficiency and good order of the university and for ensuring the proper enforcement of Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations.
- Be responsible for staff and students discipline in the University.
- Regulate the admission of the students in accordance with the guidelines and procedures approved by the Senate.
Qualification and Qualities of the Candidate
Interested candidates for the position of Vice – Chancellor, Gombe State University, Gombe are expected to be:
- Distinguished Professors with demonstrated ability to provide exemplary academic leadership and proven managerial capacity.
- The candidate should be of high moral standards and impeccable character and proven integrity with irrevocable commitment to best practices in corporate governance, with particular emphasis on accountability, transparency and probity and must be able to ensure effective utilization of limited resources for maximum public good.
- Candidates should demonstrate irrevocable commitment to the cardinal values of merit, consistency and fairness as operating principles and can apply these across the board.
- Candidates should be information and Communication Technology (ICT) proficient, and be committed to the development of ICT into the University programmes and services.
- Candidates should be able to attract research grants and complementary funds from local and international agencies, and further uplift the academic stature of the university.
- Candidates should be able to relate effectively with government, non – governmental organization, the alumni, the local community and foster linkage with institutions within and outside Nigeria.
- The candidate should be a person who is not likely to foster personal, ethnic, political, religious or other factional interest and who is also capable of inspiring the members of university community towards the attainment of its goals.
- The candidate should have a good understanding of the Vision arid Mission of the University.
- The candidate should be an individual who, judging from his/her track records, is likely to command the respect as well as loyalty of members of staff, students and unversity community
- Candidate should be in a position to ensure the enforcement of the university laws and regulations.
- Candidate must be of excellent physical and mental health.
- Candidate should not be above the age of sixty five (65) years at the point of assumption of duty.
Conditions of Service
- The salaries and conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice – Chancellor in Nigerian Universities as determined by Council and Government from time to time.
- The Vice – Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years.
Job Title: Bursar
- The Bursar is a Principal Officer and is the Chief Financial Officer of the University, responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the day to day administration and control of the financial affairs of the University.
- Candidate for the post shall be visionary and have the ability to provide good leadership, must possess personal integrity and demonstrate transparency in both private and public life and must be able to command the respect and loyalty of staff of the University.
- Candidate for this post shall have a good honours degree in Accounting with a minimum of second class and must be a registered member of a professional body such as ICAN or ANAN.
- He or She must be ICT literate and complement with a working knowledge of relevant accounting packages and must have a minimum of fifteen (15) years cognate experience, ten (10) of which must be in the University System.
- The candidate must also have attained the rank of Deputy Bursar and should not be more than sixty (60) years at the point of assumption of duty.
Condition of Service
- The salary and conditions of service for the Bursar are as applicable in Nigerian Universities and also as determined by Council and Government from time to time.
- The Bursar shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years.
Job Title: University Librarian
- The University Librarian is a Principal Officer of the University, responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the day to day administration of the University Library and Coordination of the Library Sources in the University.
- Candidate for the post shall be of high integrity and capable of handling all staff of the Library.
- He must also be receptive to new ideas and technology in the development of the Library and be willing to translate them in line with the phase of E-Library development plans of the University.
Candidate for this post shall fulfill the following:
- Possess a good honours degree with a minimum of Second Class, Master’s and PhD in Library Science from a recognized University.
- Demonstrate academic excellence in quality publications, teaching and research as well as credible community service and sound administrative leadership record with ability to manage and carry along colleagues.
- He/She must have spent a minimum of fifteen (15) years cognate experience, ten (10) of which must be in the University System.
- The candidate must also have attained the rank of Deputy Librarian.
- He/She must be a registered member of the Librarian Registration Council of Nigeria (LRCN).
- He/She must possess a considerable literacy in Computer application in particular relevant to new technologies in Library Operations and Services.
- Candidate must not be more than sixty (60) years at the point of assumption of duty.
Condition of Service
- The salary and conditions of service for the University Librarian are as applicable in Nigerian Universities and also as determined by Council and Government from time to time.
- The University Librarian shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
ALL Interested candidates are invited to note and comply with the following conditions:
- Each application letter (20 copies) should he accompanied by 20 copies of the candidate’s detailed “Curriculum Vitae” (CV) signed and dated by the candidate, The CV must contain, among others, the candidate’s name in full, age, marital status, nationality, current address including email and phohe numbers, educational qualification with dates, number of PhD candidates supervised and graduated, research output, academic and non – academic recognition, professional achievement, scholarly publications in renowned national and international journals and books with dates.
- Each application should be accompanied by a certificate of birth orstatutory declaration of age, and certificate of medical fitness based on documented comprehensive, medical examination from a government hospital
- A statement of candidate’s vision for the Gombe State University, Gombe in the 21st century of not more than 1000 words (20 copies).
- Each candidate must have three (3) referees who should be requested by the candidate to forward their referee’s report directly to THE REGISTRAR under confidential cover. Such referees should be in a position to attest to the candidate’s claim to high academic standard, managerial capability and moral uprightness.
- All shortlisted candidates shall be required to make themselves available for interaction with the Joint Council/Senate Selection Board.
All applications are to be forwarded under confidential cover in a sealed envelope marked at the Upper Lleft Hand corner “Application for the Post of Vice Chancellor”, to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Gombe State University,
Deadline 20th September, 2019.